PDA

View Full Version : Steering Cable Problem with 03 Outback - Replacement Help?

moneytonoise
10-25-2007, 11:37 PM
The steering is getting very hard so I think I need to replace the cable. How do you remove the flooring to get to the cable? Any advice and pictures spcific to this model would be appriciated. I read one post that said they had to enlarge the hole where the cable passes through the floor in front of the driver seat. I don't care to cut any fiberglass.
Has anyone had luck getting this problem covered under warranty on a 4 year old boat?

Sound like there needs to be a better cable that won't corrode and or a more convient way to access the end of the cable to keep it greased.

My boat does not have a depth gauge, so I thought I would install a through the hull transducer while the floor panels are out. Can any one recomend a location specific to this boat?

JKizerb
04-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Did you ever figure out how to do this? I have an 03 outback and will be doing this tomorrow. Any pointers would help! thanks

kojack
06-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Is it a DD or V-Drive, I just had problem with mine. I have a 03' Outback LSV. You remove all the screws on your floor, remove all seating and lift floor from the rear and slide back. Really easy and not heavy. 2 person job. I removed my cable as the rudder was moving freely and the steering too. Unhooked the cable from the rudder, unbolt 4 bolt holding the cable down, pull the cable from under driver's footwell, once you noticed that the cable is half way mid tank, tie a rope so you can fish the new one. When I removed mine I noticed that the cable was not the problem but the sleeve before the rudder was seized on the cable. I yanked it hook with a hammer and punch and the sleeve slide out. Cleaned everything and grease everything. Now working perfectly and returning the new cable back to dealer i bought it from. Just be sure its seized inside not in the sleeve. Might save you some money. The whole replacing thing should take you about 1 1/2 hour to 2. Its a 2 person job to make everything easy.