PDA

View Full Version : Electrical and physical heater problems - 07 outback V

10-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Hello, I purchased my '07 outback V towards the end of July this year. I've put about 65 hours on the boat so far.

The other night we were out on the lake and I was running the nav lights, docking lights, stereo, and heater (on high). In addition, I had two lights from home depot charging on the cigarette lighters.

I have the 325 engine with 70 amp alternator. The heater's fuse kept popping. I'd push it back in and the heater would run for about 5 minutes... then the fuse would pop again. Has anyone had this issue? I've run the heater on high many times before. Am I drawing too much power because of the changing lights? An easy test is trying again with and without the lights charging which I'll try next time I'm out on the boat. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue.

Secondly, there are three heater tubes. Two on the walkway, and one by the driver's feet. The heater tube by the drivers feet has melted off. I don't know why, but the tube itself melted off the place where it mounts on the boat. Has anyone had this problem either?

Thanks for any advice!

-Robert

zabooda
10-20-2007, 08:40 PM
The single speed fans on the heater are similar to the engine compartment fan. I would think the heater is connected to a seperate circuit with its own breaker than connected with the cigarette lighter plug. The components on the heater shouldn't be melting as the heat source is supplied by the engine through a heater core and that temperature is not hot enough to melt plastic which would be hot enough to burn peoples tooties. Something else would have melted the plastic. Someone may have tried to shrink the tubing on the back and got an open flame a little too close. I think your heater is made by Heatercraft and they can contacted on the following website.

http://www.heatercraft.com/

10-24-2007, 02:14 AM
I tested the heater while I was out today. Stereo was the only thing on, nothing charging and the heater's fuse still popped. Looks like something is wrong electrically with the boat (yay...).

Looks like the heater is connected via a separate circuit as zabooda suggested. I'll likely be calling the dealer to explain the issue to them. Maybe when I take the boat out for the year I'll bring it down there and have them take care of any warranty issues.

slowlearner
06-12-2009, 05:00 PM
I have an 07 Outback with 65 hours on it. My heater continues to pop the breaker. I took it to my dealer last year when getting winterized to have it looked at. They just ran the fan and the breaker never popped. I try it this spring 5 minutes in the water and the breaker pops. Anything I can look for at home, the dealer in Muskoka is an hour away.

mmandley
06-12-2009, 05:10 PM
When i took my boat out the first time the same thing happened, 10 minutes on the water and the fuse blew.

When i took it in they replaced the fuse and i haven't had a problem again.

What they did tell me is its been common place that the Motor in the fan is bad. They told me it was a fuse, or a bad fam motor, i got lucky and it was the fuse.

The fan will start going bad and drawing excessive amperage to turn at the speed your requesting < high or low > and cause the breaker to pop.