PDA

View Full Version : lake lanier-georgia

moombadaze
10-17-2007, 10:19 AM
anybody live on this lake or been to it lately?
how is the water level? was thinking about a boating/camping trip next
summer but we read that the mayor of atlanta thinks it will be dried
up by jan 08. that is a big lake to dry up.
i was thinking about going the houseboat route this time with another
couple but i dont want to reserve unless there is lots of water to
boat on. we were up last summer and it was low.
pictures would be great if possible

thanks

stacy

ATLOUTBACKV
10-17-2007, 10:45 AM
aesome lake.... water level is down, i dont see it staying down...it will not be at full pool but it will have enough water to enjoy it... hell its over 10 feet down right now and i can still safely board... i am just praying fo some rain this fall/winter so we can have another great season. ill keep ya updated on the levels

Smrtz
10-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Apparently the main culpret of this "drying" is that the water is being diverted away from the lake to protect Muscle/oyster farms and Sturgeon populations down stream.

I also hear rain is on the way!

Best

Jay

tlrowe
10-17-2007, 12:31 PM
My office is about 5 miles from Lake Lanier. It is way down right now, about 14' I think. The drought here is the top news topic every night on the local stations. By next Summer the lake should be back, but who knows at what level. Here is a slide show from a local station that shows some current pics.
http://www.wsbtv.com/slideshow/news/14350886/detail.html

A better alternative (in my opinion) is Lake Hartwell. It's a much bigger lake and not nearly as crowded at Lanier. It's about 50 miles further North than Lanier would be for you. Hartwell is down as well, but not as bad. This link shows the levels of the area lakes.
http://lakes.southernco.com/

james yarosz
10-17-2007, 06:06 PM
We do a Houseboat trip on Dale Hollow every year.(14years now)The lake is awesome and always seems to have plenty of water untill late in the summer.Might be a little longer drive but I think it would be worth it.

gsi09907
10-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Lanier sucks, too many boats, too many rich people on their big water toys... and the website that shows water levels is dead wrong, they are far worse than it reads carter's has been closed for 2 months and is like 40-50 feet down, allatoona is almost bare in spots and bear paw in NC is at a all time century low water situation sucks here in the south and it isn't getting any better... we don't need rain we need about a month or 2 of solid daily showers and then we still wouldn't be close to caught up... TN still has a lot of good water and for some reason they are not in the drought situation we are and i live like 10 min from the line.... but things do suck here in GA

later
peace out

ATLOUTBACKV
10-17-2007, 09:04 PM
lanier is an awsome lake... you just have to know where to go... on the weekends stay away from the southside, and cocktail cove.... unless you know the rich peoiple and then tie up and drink with the powerful...lol seriously lanier is a great lake. i live less than a mile from mt ramp and it is been great.. if you board on the weekends go early or late , and or stay north of browns bridge.

gsi09907
10-17-2007, 09:48 PM
a little local knowlege goes a long way thanks for the advise... i guess i've just visited the not so into riding parts

later

ATLOUTBACKV
10-17-2007, 10:47 PM
yeah if your ever this way lemme know ill take yo uto rider friendly spots