PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at Wake Surfing..

04OUTBACK
10-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Got a LF Venture 5'0 for my Anniversary (great wife!). Finally got to try it out today.
750 lb ballast in left rear, 3 in boat, 50% wakeplate and 10.7 mph.

Not bad for my first attempt.. got some slack but could not hold it more than about 15 secs...
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j14/bradwebb1/bw1.jpg

Ed or any other surfers wanna make suggestions on improvement, check out short video...

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j14/bradwebb1/?action=view&current=SurfsUp209.flv

04OUTBACK
10-15-2007, 01:00 AM
forgot the wife.... she did great for her first ride

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j14/bradwebb1/jw1.jpg

SoTX
10-15-2007, 02:02 PM
I agree. Weight forward go faster weight back to slow down. Most important tip..........................get a fresh air exhaust sytem. http://www.freshairexhaust.com/
Keeps you safe.
You did get some slack in your rope so you were surfing. Keep it up.

ATLOUTBACKV
10-17-2007, 01:40 AM
i have a tad under 1k in ballast on the starboard side and i ride at anywhere between 11-12.5mph with out problems.... i dont understand why people have a huge issue with speed.... i tried from 8mph( mushy) all the way to 13.5 (long pocket but smaller wake) and surfed it no problem.. ideal though in my 06 LSV was 11-12 that was with under 1 k of weight plus one person in the boat

ATLOUTBACKV
10-17-2007, 01:46 AM
also your wake looks good, try bringin yourself in 8 inches to a foot to get you further into the pocket. if you havent ever surfed ( a real wave) it will take a few times to get used to the motion of shifting your weight but once you get it you will be hooked... i know i am.... hell the last three times i went out i left my wakeboard at home...

04OUTBACK
10-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks ATL.. HOw do you like your LSV?
I hope to ride some this weekend. I was just pleased I pulled off what I did on the first day! I felt like i should get more weight on the toe edge but just did not move much!
I have heard conflicting reports on center ballast.. some say works other say use none.. I'll try both next trip.. I am sure more people / weight would have helped some. I do feel like I had plenty wave to surf, just not the right mechanics yet. I can see some quicker trips without wakeboards. My boat stores right by the lake, but we normally ride way up the river due to choppy lake... Now I have a choppy option!
Hoping for rain for you guys!
Best,

Sled491
10-17-2007, 08:53 PM
very cool, I think next summer wake surfing will be my new passion.

ATLOUTBACKV
10-17-2007, 09:19 PM
I cant begin to tell you how much more i like the LSV over my outbackV both are great boats but the freeboard and storage and ride is friggin great! plus this one was loaded out with everything... and the overall room in the boat is astounding compared to the V... back to surfing..i also look at where i want to be headed and kinda focus on that spot and try and work your way there by shifting your weight foward and when you reach that spot gently shift to the back...gently as not to lose all momentum but enough to slow down.. then repeat the process, i also try to work up and down the face of the wake to gain momentum... once you get the hang of it youll be drinkin beers in no time while surfing....

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/510339.html?1192283542

ATLOUTBACKV
10-18-2007, 09:51 AM
ed i have a question... when surfing a real wave i dont wear a life jacket whats the difference, i am far enough from the platform not to hit it .. now granted the drinking is not the smartest... that pic was more for the effect than actually drinking...

zabooda
10-18-2007, 12:33 PM
You need to wear your life jacket. If your surfing a real wave you don't have a boat 10 feet away and if you do and law enforcement sees it the boater would probably be cited for being too close to swimmers (reckless endangerment). If your wake surfing, I would recommend following the rules for towing skiers and wake boarders. If law enforcement sees someone without a life jacket where it is required they will stop you. You can argue the point that your not being towed by the boat but then the officer can ask the boat driver why he is so close to the boarder (unpowered vessel) that was following him and cite the driver for reckless endangerment. You don't want to stand out as doing anything different as anybody else otherwise you will have law enforcement and rulemakers changing things to make you comply or eliminate the activity altogether.

ATLOUTBACKV
10-18-2007, 01:21 PM
i understand that but surfing behind the boat is safer than surfing... its way more mellow than true surfing.. but hey i am not supporting not wearing a jacket but hey its my ticket and life.. i appreciate the concern though

ATLOUTBACKV
10-18-2007, 07:25 PM
that is a valid point, when i said mellow i meant the fact that you are not paddling out in pounding surf and near reefs etc... now in st pete yes you could damn near stand up in chest deep water, but other spots such as down in bradenton or spanish house over near sebastian, you cant, as well as a ton of breaks in costa rica where a reef is right below you... thats what i meant by mellow.. i agree that the pros in wakesurfing are rad. thats why i love this new found sport, it brings me back to being able to surf and have that "free feeling". I totally understand your point, and i am even willing to get into my oniell gooru and give surfing (with a jacket) a try behind the boat... i am just used to not wearing a jacket, but hell i dont wanna die, so ED you just saved a life...