PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get the $%&$$ Oil Filter Off

Waynes345
10-13-2007, 08:20 PM
During my winterization today I was changing the oil and filter. Couldn't get the filter off to save my soul. I've got the tool that fits on the bottom and uses a socket wrench. Anybody got any tricks that may help? I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

Buttafewcoe
10-14-2007, 03:08 AM
Yeah, you can take a screwdriver and punch a hole through the side of the filter and use the driver as a handle for turning the filter. My advise is, punch a small hole in the bottom and use a catch pan to drain the oil out. Drive the screwdriver through both sides of the filter. Use a good sized driver, those little flimzy ones will bend.
Hope this helps
B

Mikey
10-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Had the same problem changing oil at 20hrs. Screw driver works but is very messy. I used a BIG set of Channel Lock pliers. Was a little tricky maouvering around and by the time I was done filter was a little worse for wear/crushed a bit. Altimately got it undone. I was always taught 8) hand tight plus 1/4 to 1/2 turn more apparently doesn;t apply at the factory.

lowdrag
10-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Before you use the screwdriver trick, go get yourself a regular filer wrench, the type with a strap that wraps around the filter. Grab the filter with it as close to the top as you can as it will be less likely that you'll crush the filter instead of getting it to turn. Only use the screwdriver trick as a last resort. I've used it before in a pinch but the results aren't always good. If the filter is on there tight enough a lot of times the screwdriver will just rip through the can and leave you with a bigger problem than what you started with. Oh, and make sure you lube the gasket with some fresh oil before you put the new one on.

AaronWhitt82
10-15-2007, 08:43 PM
I just had the same problem last week. Ended up taking me a good ohh 2 hours to get the damn thing off! I tried with everything I had with the oil filter wrench and it just twisted the filter to the point where the wrench wouldn't fit anymore. Next I went to the screwdriver method.... Screwdriver just tore all the way across the filter when I was trying to get it to bust loose.
Finally I had to use a really sharp chisel and very carefully at the top of the filter I chiseled in little notches and then used a screwdriver and a hammer and beat it until slowly but surely it finally came loose.
It seemed as if the stupid dealer torqued the hell out of it.
I made sure I just hand tightened the new one just a bit.....

bobwells
10-15-2007, 09:22 PM
be sure when you replace the filter to dip your finger in the oil and run a light film around gasket, will help next time you remove...and dont go crazy when you are tightening the new one on, just hand tighten then maybe a 1/4 turn with filter wrench, also be sure to check that gasket came off with the old filter and didnt stick to housing ! ok i'll shut - up now :lol: screwdriver has worked for me too on those stuborn ones Butta ! p.s. my little girl did her first wake-wake this afternoon :D having fun, bob

Sled491
10-17-2007, 09:45 PM
If I have problems I use a special set of vice grips that have a chain that wraps around and locks back on itself. Lock it down like regular vice grip and twist. Like was mentioned before try to grip as high up on filter as possible. This prevents wedging which is like canting the filter and just causes more bite between the block and the filter via the rubber ring instead of twisting it.

Waynes345
10-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Well, it took a while but I finally got the damn thing off. Found a pair of filter specific channel locks with some larger teeth on the end to grip better. Actually gave up and bought a pair of the vice grips with the chain, but couldn't get the chain up around the filter. Tried the chisel techniqure for a while and was just making a mess. Went back to the channel locks and some busted knuckles and got it off. Winterization is done though I was regretting it yesterday when it was 80.

Buttafewcoe
10-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Well, as long as you didn't overtighten when you put the new one on, you shouldn't have an issue anymore, eh?
B

Waynes345
10-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Hand tightened only. I bought the boat in the spring from a private party who had all the work done at a dealer, but a couple things I've found lead me to believe the dealer may have been cutting corners. Thanks for the input.