PDA

View Full Version : Zero Off for Moomba

CT Skier
10-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Hey has anyone seen a Zero Off unit in a Moomba? I am interested in getting one (I use my old GPS as the sole speed measurement in the boat) but I read somewhere that they will work only in "drive by wire" boats.

Anyone have a clue?

Engine Nut
10-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Hey has anyone seen a Zero Off unit in a Moomba? I am interested in getting one (I use my old GPS as the sole speed measurement in the boat) but I read somewhere that they will work only in "drive by wire" boats.

Anyone have a clue?

All Indmar EFI engines since 2006 have throttle by wire. In fact Indmar was the first to bring that technology to the inboard market during the 2005 model year on MasterCraft boats. The Zero Off system will not work with an Indmar engine but it is not the throttle by wire system that is the problem. The manufacturers of Zero Off have chosen not to make their system function with the MEFI 5 series ECM which is what Indmar uses on their engines.

Engine Nut

Laz
10-14-2007, 12:09 AM
I saw somewhere on the Zero Off website that there would be retrofit kits for Skiers Choice boats available January 2008. However, when I go to their site now, I cant find any mention of this. Does anyone else have more infoÉ

CT Skier
10-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks Larry-it's too bad that they haven't come up with a solution-I think that this is the direction that I want to go-even with the "water current" issues. I love using the GPS for more accurate speeds-no adjustment or error, and Zero Off sounds like it is much easier to use than Perfect Pass.
I asked the question to Zero Off as well and I'll let you know what they say when (or if) they answer me.

Sean

smokedog2
10-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Not that it cannot be done, but easier and better than PerfectPass is going to be tough. My 12 year old is now driving the boat when I want a pull (legal in Ohio with the boater course). He had me up and riding on the first try. It will do a lot more than I use, but I find it very simple.

My boat now sits winterized – nuts.

SD2

CT Skier
10-14-2007, 11:51 AM
We keep going as long as the ice lets us....too windy today, though. Hopefully later....

spyder
10-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Where do you ride CT?

chadgreg
10-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Here's the Generic Response I got from Zero Off when I asked..
"What Zero Off system will work with my 2005 moomba Outback LSV?"

We would like to thank you for your interest in ZeroOff GPS Speed controlunits. We have had great success over the last year passing AWSA testingand becoming AWSA tournament certified for 2007. Along with being selectedby Correct Craft as a supply partner, we have made an agreement with CorrectCraft for the 2008 boat model year to be our exclusive Marine OEM. We areworking to establish relationships with other Marine OEM's for the 2009 boatmodel year and ask that you make your requests to your preferred boatmanufacturer for ZeroOff.

The results and testimonies are rolling in and we are very interested tohear about your experiences with ZeroOff as we continue to introduceproducts that address the voice of the customer and the requirements of thewakeboard and water ski industries.

ZeroOff will start to make available after market retrofit kits that will beavailable on the following schedules:
1. 2007 model year Correct Craft Boats Zero Off retrofit speed control kits- Available 11/1/07
2. 2006 model year Correct Craft Boats Zero Off retrofit speed control kits- Available 1/1/08
3. 2008 model year MasterCraft /Malibu/Skiers Choice Boats Zero Offretrofit speed control kits - Available 1/1/08
4. 2006 model year MasterCraft /Malibu/Skiers Choice Boats Zero Offretrofit speed control kits - Available 2/1/08
5. 2007 model year MasterCraft /Malibu/Skiers Choice Boats Zero Offretrofit speed control kits - Available 1 /1/08

We value your business and appreciate your interest! Please check our website for updates to these schedules.
Thanks Again,
Zero Off - The future of speed control is here!
Aqua Star, Inc.
Marketing Manager Jeremy Lessaris
www.ZeroGps.com
1.866.204.7748 (Main)
1.847.620.2560 (Fax)
[email protected]

Sled491
10-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Not that my perfect pass has been all that great this year, but what is the ticket with Zero off that makes it better? Does it have a GPS built into the unit or something like that?

JoeTechie
10-18-2007, 12:46 AM
Yup,

It is GPS based speed control vs RPM or Paddlewheel. It measures speed across the water - so it is always correct - not prone to tidal shifts, river flows, etc. Also can adjust more quickly since it reads changes on a smaller scale. It even claims to change speed while the skier pulls hard (and slows the boat) - like a pro driver would do manually. It has huge potential, but they are just starting out and do not interface with Indmar yet. The user interface has to be better than PP - there's sucks. (I've said it a thousand times, but if they simply added one more button "select" the entire thing could be programmed / set by a child. - the amount of software programming it takes to re-map the other buttons and show there new use on screen could be eliminated and simplified as well)

Let's hope they stick around. A little competition is good for everyone.

-J

zabooda
10-18-2007, 01:18 AM
These type systems have some real potential for the older boats where we may not need to replace the pitot systems by Airguide which is no longer in business. Remove all the pitots and hoses from the back side, remove the speedos up front, fill one hole with the GPS speedo and the other hole with a TBD.

CT Skier
10-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Spyder,
I do my business on Coventry Lake in eastern CT. Weather is pretty good here right now-in the 70s (this week anyway) and cloudy-keeps all the nuts off of the lake...

04OUTBACK
10-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Anybody seen this?
http://www.awsasouth.org/news/StarGazerWebPDF.pdf

looks like only a ski version for now...

Sled491
10-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Sounds like the way to go for us traditional skiers who already have perfectpass. Just wondering what the changeout costs will be?

maxpower220
07-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Here is the response that I got from Zero Off today.

We will have a system in the very near future (approx 3 weeks) I can keep in touch with you and let you know when it is available. I will have more details at that time about where it would fit etc…

The Future of Speed Control has Arrived!

Jeremy Lessaris

Marketing Manager
Aqua Star, Inc. - Zero Off

www.zerogps.com

1.866.204.7748 (Main)

[email protected]

Laz
07-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Funny you should mention this....

I tried calling Zero Off today and their line was disconnected. Strange.

I then spoke to the Perfect Pass. My understanding is that the current Zero Off is not compatible with the electronics of the EFI Indmar engines up to 2007 and it is not easy to get it changed.

Perfect Pass Star Gazer is compatible with DBW Moombas, so I'm probably going to order it tomorrow. Hopefully it will not be too difficult to install.

Laz

maxpower220
07-16-2008, 03:13 PM
My understanding is that the current Zero Off is not compatible with the electronics of the EFI Indmar engines up to 2007 and it is not easy to get it changed.

Laz

You are correct. Right now, Zero Off will only work with TBW systems. The closed loop system of ZO takes over. Apparently, the ECM issue has been resolved with Indmar engines and MasterCraft Indmar, so now they are working on placement of the guages in different boats.
I saw ZO in a MC at the ProWaterSki Tour 2 weeks ago.

maxpower220
07-29-2008, 04:25 PM
We now have a factory system available for a 2008 Moomba!

The Future of Speed Control has Arrived!

Jeremy Lessaris
Director of Marketing
Aqua Star, Inc. - Zero Off
34034 W 8 Mile Rd
Farmington, MI 48383
www.zerogps.com
1.866.204.7748 (Main)

I got this email today, in case anyone is looking/interested.