PDA

View Full Version : Fuel/Water Separater

dtlaine
10-11-2007, 07:35 PM
I unscrewed my fuel/water separater today, and the inner part is filled with liquid. Of course, it smells like gas, but I would expect it to smell like gas regardless of whether it's filled with water or gasoline. Is that a sign that it is full of water and needs to be replaced? How can you tell when it's time for a new one?

Thank you.

AaronWhitt82
10-12-2007, 01:27 AM
I unscrewed my fuel/water separater today, and the inner part is filled with liquid. Of course, it smells like gas, but I would expect it to smell like gas regardless of whether it's filled with water or gasoline. Is that a sign that it is full of water and needs to be replaced? How can you tell when it's time for a new one?

Thank you.

Any screw on filter that you take off will always be full of gas. If there is no gas in it well then obviously you have fuel issues.
The only way to tell if there is water in the filter is to dump the gas out in a small container and see if any seperation occurs. That would tell you if there is water in it. How many hours do u have on the boat with that filter? If it hasn't been done in a while you should just go buy 2 of them. One to replace the old one and the other to keep extra on the boat should the other filter ever get clogged.
You can tell it's time for a new one when the old one gets clogged and causes the boat not to run properly.... There is water or other contaminants in it causing the boat to run poorly or just keep track of how many hours after you install it.....

dtlaine
10-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Thank you.

beckman2713
10-19-2007, 10:24 AM
I haven't been on in a while and was reading your post. I've always wanted to put in a fuel/water separator on my '06 Outback LS. What kind do you have and where is it mounted..any info would be great Thanks

PS all I have is the inline automotive type filter now....

dtlaine
10-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Mine is on the front starboard side of the engine (just behind your left hip as you're driving). Mine came all done, so I don't know what it takes to put one on there, but they look just like an automotive spin-on oil filter. The fuel goes through a paper in-line filter, then it goes through the separater, then to the fuel pump. Overtons has them.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/catalog.cgi?cname=Fuel-Filters-Separators&r=browse&aID=21E