PDA

View Full Version : Connelly Binding Replacement

deerfield
10-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Is there a binding brand with mounting hole geometry the same as Connelly? If there is, is there a safety issue that warrants not mixing binding brands on the same ski?

I have a Connelly F1X w/ Vision front boot (size L) and rear toe. Want to upgrade to a rear boot, but unable to find a Vision. Connelly said for safety reasons not to mix boots, even within its own product set, but offered no explanation.

I'm inclined to disregard the Connelly line and proceed with a different brand for the rear boot that is similar to the Vision design (laces and no hinge), as long as the binding hole geometry is the same.

I would appreciate knowing the experience others have had with this situation and a brand with Connelly's hole geometry. Thank you. - Deerfield

BensonWdby
10-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Although I have never done this I have often thought that it might be just easier to buy the boot you want and drill the plate. As long as you can arrange a hole pattern in your new plate that does not compromise it's strength by being too close to other holes.

The other thing about plates is their influence on the flex of the ski.

Buttafewcoe
10-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Being a machinist / mfg engineer, I can say with some authority, you'd be surprised what you can do to modify stuff w/o damaging the integrity of it. As long as you don't make it look like swiss cheeze, a couple extra holes shouldn't present a problem, if there is room for a couple extra holes.
Hope this helps
B

AJones
10-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Check out http://www.wileyski.com/ for a rear boot that will match the Connelly screw pattern. Wiley makes very good boots and many pros use them on several different brands of skis. But they do not use laces. I'm pretty sure Wiley makes plates for their boots that match the Connelly skis. Hope this helps. FYI, the best that I remember, Andy Mapple never used O'Brien boots when he skiied on O'Brien skis. Use what works best for you.

deerfield
10-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey, guys - Thanks for the advice. To update you, last weekend on a lark I stopped at a boat shop where I never trade. Salesman dug through his binding stock and found a Vision rear boot. Exactly what I wanted! Now I have the perfect ski, for me any way. Have to wait unitl next year. Put the boat away today. - Deerfield