PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Moomba Outback and Supra Launch 20

Laz
10-03-2007, 05:05 PM
How similar are these boats? I'm mostly interested in hull design and slalom wake?

Do they use the same hull and drive shaft?

Laz

Buttafewcoe
10-03-2007, 05:40 PM
At one time they went down the same assembly line, only to split toward the end to add the extra amenities the Supra gets over the OB.
So the story goes....
B

Matt Glenn
10-03-2007, 06:56 PM
I also looked at this when I got my new boat in 2006. What I was told was the OB has a better wake for sking. I have been more then happy with my OB. With every new year and with every decrease in rope length I become more in love with it. The only pump you will find is around 22 off, once you get closer it gets even better. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money on the Supra. If your going to lay down the cash then buy a mastercraft.

Jon
10-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Different boats and hulls entirely. In my opinion the Outback has the better ski wake. The Comp has a deeper keel and a bit more of a stepped pocket in the rear therefore it displaces a bit more water. Both boats are 3 event certified. Buttafewcoe is right in that they are made using the same construction techniques and the Supra is outfitted with more standard ammenities. They do not share hulls however.

Sled491
10-04-2007, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure about this but I think the Launch 20 even though it is a DD has the same hull shape as the Outback V with some obvious changes

scmarketing
10-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Laz,

Good question. Two completely different hulls. The Outback is AWSA certified to pull at EVERY level of competition, the Launch 20 is not. The Outback is significantly lighter weight than the Launch 20 as well. Consequently, Outback produces a softer, smaller wake with less trough.

Tradeoffs. Launch 20 is a bit better of a crossover boat for wakeboarding.
It obviously costs more, but you get SmartPlate, Perfect Pass, Three Bag Ballast System, Tower and Swivel boardracks as standard equipment. Launch 20 will be more 'blingy' if that's your thing. And importantly comes with a 5 year warranty on engine and most components. Outback will have a 4 year engine warranty and provide one year of coverage on parts. Both have limited lifetime warranties on hulls because as another poster noted, 100% HAND-LAID FIBERGLASS construction and lay-up schedule is identical in both boats.

Both boats offer Indmar 325 and 340 MFI engines (325 is standard).

Laz
10-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks for your reply. I think the Outback is for me. I'm far more interested in a good ski boat and am just learning how to wakeboard. The wake without the ballast is plenty big enough for me and my near non-existant wakeboarding skills, while the wake is absolutely fantastic at 32mph for slalom.

I looked at Tige, Correct Craft and Mastercraft and am very happy I got an outback. The money I saved will be put into keeping it in mint condition.

Laz

scmarketing
10-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Hope you are out there carving up the courses behind that outback happily for many years to come.