PDA

View Full Version : Shrink wrapping the boat

BLKOUTLS
09-24-2007, 11:04 AM
I have been thinking of ordering a kit this year to shrink the boat. The cost
is about 500.00 complete with enough materials to wrap 4 ski boats. It includes the heating gun which is the most expensive part. Has anybody done it themselves? I have had it done since new and thinking it may be time to do it myself . Anyone have any thoughts or insight?

Chris

moomba_armada
09-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Good idea,Chris!!! I still keep the shrink cover from the shipping...but I think I have read somehwere that you have to be careful with the mildew and keep some ventilation...my shrink cover has a few vent windows I think..be sure you do some or check with an expert. :)

NH Moomba
09-25-2007, 02:43 PM
I used to shrink wrap it myself but the local Mastercraft dealer came to my house and did the whole thing for 225 bucks including building the frame and putting in a zippered window. He also showed me where to cut it so that I could reuse it this year with a little bit of shrink wrap tape. He was advertising on Craigslist.com so I would search there. I highly recommend getting the window as well as the vents. On nice days, I unzipped the window and let it breathe. It also let me in there to change out those moisture absorber things that you get at West Marine. This was the first year I didn't have much of a mildew problem.

BLKOUTLS
09-25-2007, 04:13 PM
NH
I have had the door in the past and found myself sitting in it in the middle of the winter in the boat just dreaming of spring,they are great plus it allows those little upgarde projects to happen away fom the boss's eye.
The vents and mildew pouches work well. Did you use a heat gun or a shrink torch when you did your own?

NH Moomba
09-25-2007, 09:27 PM
The first year I used a Master heat gun from work and it took forever. The next year I used a propane powered ice melting gun from Northern Tool. It worked great but you need to really keep some distance. It is easy to melt a hole really quickly in the wrap. The real gun costs 450 bucks and spreads the heat out better. This thing cost $29 I think. It is pretty scary thing to point it at your boat. That is one of the reasons I decided to use a pro.

BLKOUTLS
09-26-2007, 11:07 AM
The 500.00 dollar price incudes a variable temp propane gun. This maybe
a real good deal then. Thanks for tthe input NH.

Chris

maxpower220
01-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I know that I am a cheap skate, but I used a roll of wide shrink wrap from a moving company store. I used several layers for a boat one winter. It worked perfect. My boat had been dried for a few weeks before wrapping. In the spring, the boat smelled brand new. Total cost was about $20 and about 1 hour of work.

AaronWhitt82
01-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Hey guys I work at a local dealer and have been doing nothing but shrink wrapping boats for the past few weeks. Anything from fishing boats to ski boats and big cruisers. We use 26 feet wide by 100 foot long rolls of shrink wrap that is blue in color. Depending on the size of the boat we can normally do 3 or so boats with a roll.

Just a few tips for those who haven't done it before:

The main thing you guys want to MAKE SURE you have once the boat is shrinked is that you have an adequate amount of vents. The inside of the shrink wrap will build up moisture and you want to make sure it can vent as much as possible because come spring when it starts getting warm under there you will get alot of mold all over inside the boat which is a real pain to clean.

Also for those of you who have gasoline vents.... Make sure you tape them up because when you are heating the wrap you don't want to ignite the vapors because then you'll be in real trouble.

When you build the frame make sure you have poles inside the boat that are high enough so it will give a nice arch in the middle so when it gets snow build up on it when the sun hits it the snow will slide right off.

Usually any boat we do with a tower you don't need any poles as you can just cover right over the top of it and that will give it the arch for the snow to slide off.

Once you get it down and know how to do it all it's a pretty easy job and saves you alot of money compared to buying a new cover if your boat will be stored outdoors for winter or storage.

Buttafewcoe
01-05-2008, 08:14 PM
You know, mine is stored with the canvas neatly folded, boat uncovered in a garage about 10 ft from where I'm sitting right now.
When I need my fix, I'll go and sit in it, turn on the stereo, crack open a Bud, break out the 303 and rub a little here and there, open the motor box cover and admire what fine workmanship, think about the great year last year, and wonder what pleasures '08 will bring.
But that's just me, y'all do what you think you need to.
B

zegm
01-05-2008, 11:51 PM
I can get my old boat in the garage but I have to put it in at an angle and that prevents me from putting a car next to it. Whoever thought of that folding trailer is a genius!