PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Carb/Fuel Issues... Boat Runs!

AaronWhitt82
09-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey guys I finished rebuilding my Holley 4150 and went to test it out on the river today.....
Boat would start up and idle no problem and seemed to be running perfect.
Well after 3 minutes or so at idle it would start running rough and bog down and then eventually die out so I started it back up again and no problem; idled fine and ran smooth.
After it was running a few minutes I revved her up a bit in neutral and same thing; it started bogging down so I pumped the throttle a bunch and then it sounded like she was going to come out of it for a second, but then it died on me. Seems like she isn't getting enough fuel for some reason and then it dies out.
I took the sight plugs out to see where the float levels were and they were set just right to where there was barely some fuel trickling out of them. I let the boat run and kept and eye on the sight plugs:
The secondary level stayed the same and I could see the fuel level right at the sight plug. On the primary, the float would drop way down and I wouldn't be able to see the fuel anymore. I then shut the boat off and turned the key to run to where it would fill back up with fuel to the sight hole again. Then I started it at idle and the same thing.... Secondary level would stay the same and primary would go way down. Also the primary float is Brass and the Secondary is Nitrophyl if that makes a difference.
Question: Is that the correct way they are supposed to work? or is there something incorrect to where maybe the primary isn't getting enough fuel and causing it to die after a few minutes?
If this isn't the problem then I'm not sure what else to check.
I've checked everything the Holley Tech manual said to for troubleshooting, but none of that seems to be the problem.
Thanks in Advance,
Aaron

Buttafewcoe
09-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Not the way it's post to werk. Yer primary is not keeping up with the fuel demand of the engine.
B

Buttafewcoe
09-23-2007, 10:41 AM
A crimped supply line? Some other sort of blockage or restriction?
?

AaronWhitt82
09-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Alright so your saying that both float levels are supposed to be the same at all times? I'm not sure why the primary is going way down in level and not staying at the sight hole like the secondary is.
I'll check all the lines then to make sure there isn't a kink or some sort of restriction in the fuel line. I wonder if maybe since I had alot of the fuel lines off it could have air in the lines or may be vapor locked?
I find that kind of odd that the primary isn't/can't keep up with the demand of fuel....?
I've also got a brand new fuel pump installed.

Also, is the fuel pump supposed to run with the key on and the motor not running? Because it is and I don't think it is suposed to. I wired it up exactly how the old one was and I know on the old one I never heard it running with just the key on. I also need to check that the pump is running while the motor is and now I'm wondering if theres an issue there or something with the wiring....

AaronWhitt82
09-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Hey guys I finally have some good news for once!

I replaced the oil pressure switch today (with the correct one finally) and had it wired correctly since for some reason the old switch had the purple and orange wires mixed up. The new switch came with directions that explained it all.

The fuel pump no longer runs with the key on either. (Due to more wiring issues with that)

Boat starts right up and idles fine. I ran her up to operating temp with the fake a lake and revved it a bunch and ran her a good 15 minutes.

No problem whatsoever... Ran smooth

I hope the same happens when I have her on water under a load. The soonest I'll have it out is Saturday...

So finally after a month or so of dealing with all these damn issues I think it's finally fixed.
I'm still thinking the previous owner was messing with stuff and didn't know what he was doing and thats how the problems started......

Aaron

deerfield
09-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Aaron - That's great news! :D Let us know how it runs this weekend. - Deerfield

Buttafewcoe
09-27-2007, 03:49 AM
Yeah man, that is good news

04OUTBACK
09-27-2007, 08:20 AM
YEAH!
You are a patient man, or your messages don't show your frustration.! :lol:

03outbackVT
09-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Nice Aaron - way to work through the problem.....enjoy Sunday on the water!

JesseC
10-03-2007, 10:37 PM
So how did the boat run this past weekend? Did it run good for you??

AaronWhitt82
10-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Yea Boat ran excellent! No problems whatsoever.
I couldn't have been happier. I just need to do a few minor adjustments on the carb.
Finally no more issues to deal with and she will be getting put away here in a few weeks for winter.....

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out!

Aaron

Buttafewcoe
10-05-2007, 04:16 AM
We are happy for you. With all work you've done on it, should not have to revisit those areas for quite a while.
B

JesseC
10-05-2007, 11:10 AM
So from what I can tell the only "Real" problem that would not let the boat run was the oil pressure switch being wired incorrectly? I am soooo glad you got her fixed, like B said I bet she runs REAL good now that you have replaced all those other parts. It was probably something that needed to be done anyway since the boat was not run for a long time before you bought it.

Where is this pressure switch located? I would like to know just in case I end up with a similar problem. Glad to hear the boat is behaving!

AaronWhitt82
10-05-2007, 01:29 PM
So from what I can tell the only "Real" problem that would not let the boat run was the oil pressure switch being wired incorrectly? I am soooo glad you got her fixed, like B said I bet she runs REAL good now that you have replaced all those other parts. It was probably something that needed to be done anyway since the boat was not run for a long time before you bought it.

Where is this pressure switch located? I would like to know just in case I end up with a similar problem. Glad to hear the boat is behaving!

Yea I am assuming it was the incorrect wiring on the oil pressure switch and on the fuel pump as well. Like I said I think the previous owner was messing with stuff and didn't know what he was doing. The carb. was also due for a rebuild because it still had all factory gaskets on it.

Oh yea she's running like brand new now. I'm sure everything was needed along with replacing alot of parts since it sat alot. So along with giving her a good tune up I also replaced alot of parts. If not I kept all the old stuff as well.

The oil pressure switch is located on the back of the motor right kind of below the distributor. It threads into the block.
Here is the exact one I bought:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/bigpicture.asp?RecId=88

So I guess this was an experience for me. Learned alot along with rebuilding my first carb and also did one hell of a tune up. Hopefully nothing goes wrong for a while!

Aaron

Sled491
10-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Thank God for EFI

Buttafewcoe
10-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Too bad it's time to put her away for her winter nap.
:(
B

AaronWhitt82
10-15-2007, 12:52 AM
Too bad it's time to put her away for her winter nap.
:(
B

NAH not yet.... Still some time left. I had her out Friday and air temp was around 54 degrees and I was pulling my buddy on his board. Water temp is in the mid to upper 60's. Glad it wasn't me in the water :shock:

Engine Nut
10-15-2007, 02:17 PM

Yea I am assuming it was the incorrect wiring on the oil pressure switch and on the fuel pump as well. Like I said I think the previous owner was messing with stuff and didn't know what he was doing. The carb. was also due for a rebuild because it still had all factory gaskets on it.

Oh yea she's running like brand new now. I'm sure everything was needed along with replacing alot of parts since it sat alot. So along with giving her a good tune up I also replaced alot of parts. If not I kept all the old stuff as well.

The oil pressure switch is located on the back of the motor right kind of below the distributor. It threads into the block.
Here is the exact one I bought:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/bigpicture.asp?RecId=88

So I guess this was an experience for me. Learned alot along with rebuilding my first carb and also did one hell of a tune up. Hopefully nothing goes wrong for a while!

Aaron

I wish you would have gone to your dealer instead of buying the switch you bought. We used to use that switch and stopped several years ago because that switch was unreliable. We developed a kit (S496007) that replaced that switch with a new two pole switch that has proven to be a much more robust part.

BLKOUTLS
10-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Engine Nut the kit you speak of -S496007- what year engines are these available for? I have an 02 Carb. from S.Choice. I despise that oil pressure switch as mine would intermitently work until i solved it similar story to Aarons. I also made a wire jumper system to bypass in case of failure which we all know they do.

Chris

Engine Nut
10-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Engine Nut the kit you speak of -S496007- what year engines are these available for? I have an 02 Carb. from S.Choice. I despise that oil pressure switch as mine would intermitently work until i solved it similar story to Aarons. I also made a wire jumper system to bypass in case of failure which we all know they do.

Chris

It will fit any of our carbureted engines but was specifically designed for engines that were originally built with a three pole switch to convert it to a two pole switch. Find the switch on your engine, it's right by the distributor. Count the number of terminals on the switch. If yours has three terminals you may be a candidate for the kit.

AaronWhitt82
10-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Larry - What is the cost for the kit? I did not know Indmar had one otherwise I would have bought it instead of that one from Pegasus.
I'm going to purchase one over Winter and install the kit and get rid of the 3 pole switch.
I searched everywhere to find that one at Pegasus, but now I'm glad to find out Indmar has a kit!
I should have called Indmar in the first place.....

Engine Nut
10-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Larry - What is the cost for the kit? I did not know Indmar had one otherwise I would have bought it instead of that one from Pegasus.
I'm going to purchase one over Winter and install the kit and get rid of the 3 pole switch.
I searched everywhere to find that one at Pegasus, but now I'm glad to find out Indmar has a kit!
I should have called Indmar in the first place.....

I don't know what the dealer will charge you with shipping etc, but the suggested retail price is about $26.00. The kit comes with the switch, electrical connectors an adapter fitting and instructions.

BLKOUTLS
10-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks Larry I have a three pole switch I will order a kit.

Chris