PDA

View Full Version : CAN THIS HAPPEN TO A MOOMBA

4ASHNBAK
09-18-2007, 02:16 AM
I guess I thought the new boats had flotation foam and could fill with water and still remain afloat. Will this happen to a Moomba? Nobody was hurt here, but this two week old 07' Tige 20V went down because of hitting a rock and tearing off the first tracking fin. Only 30 minutes with two small bolt size holes.

http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tigesunktz9.jpg

http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tigesunk2yh1.jpg

http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tigesunk3xr2.jpg

Buttafewcoe
09-18-2007, 04:16 AM
Wonder why ye 'ol bilge pump dint kick in?

qb12
09-18-2007, 08:54 AM
well tige does advertise their boats have thicker fiberglass and weigh more, hence one of the reason for no ballast.

that is very suprising on a newer model.

i know that there are at least 3-5 tige's on the bottom of table rock lake in missouri. they were all older models.

03outbackVT
09-18-2007, 09:01 AM
wow, pretty crazy! I feel sorry for that fella. Must have been heart breaking to watch her go down. I guess that is what replacement insurance is all about.......

Dave A
09-18-2007, 04:19 PM
I would think that if you put a hole in just about any boat, see Titanic, that it will fill with water and sink. Has anyone left their drain plug out? I don't know what the gpm on the bilge pump is, but I'm sure that if you overwhelm it, your going down. I did see a commercial where a guy cut a Boston Whaler 1/2 in two, as we like to say in Alabama, and both sides floated, but I don't think ski boats are made like that.

Dave

4ASHNBAK
09-18-2007, 07:06 PM
I would think that if you put a hole in just about any boat, see Titanic, that it will fill with water and sink. Has anyone left their drain plug out? I don't know what the gpm on the bilge pump is, but I'm sure that if you overwhelm it, your going down. I did see a commercial where a guy cut a Boston Whaler 1/2 in two, as we like to say in Alabama, and both sides floated, but I don't think ski boats are made like that.

Dave

I was looking at Sangers and the store also sold Four Winns. That's where I thought I remembered the salesman saying you could fill the boat to the gunnels and it wouldn't sink. It has the NMMA sticker so I guess I assumed that was part of the requirement. Possibly the NMMA sticker is about as useful as the RVIA on RV's. :roll:

Psmartell
09-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Hey 4Ashnbak,what lake did that boat sink at? It looks alot like Canyon Lake or possibly Bartlett out here in Az. Please fill me in as enquiry minds want to know .Its Saguaro Lake of the main channel?

4ASHNBAK
09-18-2007, 11:56 PM
It was on Saguaro. Here's a link to a long thread on Tige Owners. Don't hate me... we've been looking at both brands.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5277

cab13367
09-19-2007, 03:55 PM
This is scary. Seems like the tracking fins should be attached with "shear bolts" that are designed to break on impact so that the fin breaks free but doesn't pull out the bolt and cause a hole in the hull.

Al

Sled491
09-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Did you guys read the Tige forum? Wow there were a bunch of guys talking about sunken Tige's. On guy said there were 3 or 4 on the bottom of his lake. Knock on wood I've been pretty regular on this board since early this year and have even gone back a year to read notes and never ran accross even one sinking of a fellow Moomba owner! By the way do you honestly think that fin came off a 3 - 4 mph?

cab13367
09-19-2007, 05:37 PM
By the way do you honestly think that fin came off a 3 - 4 mph?
sled,

I'm like you - I find that hard to believe. I think he's covering his butt. If the insurance company knew that he was speeding through that hazard zone, they may not cover his loss.

Al

Psmartell
09-19-2007, 06:25 PM
I know the lake very well where that poor sap sank his boat. I also know that every amatuer in the east valley where I live goes there and turns a very beautiful lake into a mosh pit. I have never been on any lakes in Arizona that does not have any kind of underwater hazard marked. Our lakes in sunny Az. are actually filled up natural canyons and do have numerous reefs and rock out croppings. I ski and wake board at Saguaro alot during the winter and mid week in the summer and always look to remind myself even thou have been on this lake for over 38 years to pay attention to all buoys on the water. I also believe the fella was driving way to fast for where he was at on the lake as I read the Tige forum. To use shear bolts is not practical because of the way the hulls are made they do not have enough tensil strength to absorb that type of impact. As a Navy veteran I would have dove in and seen what type of damage occured and start to fill holes with t-shirts, bread or any thing icould find.The dude said he lost his ski and board? how did that happen when they float? I am curious of the out come and if his insurance picks up tab? Always sway to the side of caution on any lake,veteran or novice and pre trip at low speeds to find any potential problems

smokedog2
09-19-2007, 08:00 PM
I went by a sunken bass boat and made the comment “wanta bet alcohol was involved?”

It was. Not saying it was here but usually you’re looking at more than one mistake.

My bilge went out a couple weeks ago and I didn’t figure it out until I parked the boat – with several inches of water in the bottom. That got me thinking. One bilge, if I pulled the center sack off I could use that pump. The Tsunami for the surf sacks could also be used but if you lose power – Houston, you have a problem. I saw an emergency aluminum boat patch compound for use in the water, does anything like that exist for fiberglass?

I sunk my 14’ Lund twice and it stayed up enough to run the outboard. I would not expect that from these boats.

SD2

Oh, alcohol was not involved with the Lund. I did however go buy an 18’ Lund the next summer. December duck hunting is not the best time to function check floatation.