PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing/withor without antifreeze

Mikey
09-16-2007, 03:58 PM
I have noticed acouple of posts lately about winterizing and I'm still undecided about weather to add antifreeze or not. I've talked to many people about this and of course you get two versions but something I;m contemplateing is since I had the flush kit attachment added to my Outbach DD /has anyone ever tryed draining every possible plug/drain and then hooked up afitting with adaptors to one of the open connections and hooked up an air compressor and blow out any or most of left over water in engine orrifices.Same cocept as blowing out sprinkler systems.Has anyone tryed this before and do I risk any internal damage by doing this? :lol:

AaronWhitt82
09-17-2007, 12:46 PM
I have noticed acouple of posts lately about winterizing and I'm still undecided about weather to add antifreeze or not. I've talked to many people about this and of course you get two versions but something I;m contemplateing is since I had the flush kit attachment added to my Outbach DD /has anyone ever tryed draining every possible plug/drain and then hooked up afitting with adaptors to one of the open connections and hooked up an air compressor and blow out any or most of left over water in engine orrifices.Same cocept as blowing out sprinkler systems.Has anyone tryed this before and do I risk any internal damage by doing this? :lol:

Just my opinion and 2 cents, but I would run antifreeze through her just to be safe. Thats what I'm planning on doing here soon. It's alot easier I think to just have a bucket of antifreeze and run it through the whole system until it comes out the back and then your done.
If you try to drain every possible plug and blow everything out I think there is still a chance that you will have water somewhere left in the cooling system and if it gets cold enough where you live and you don't have heated storage then you might have to worry about something freezing. If you do decide to run antifreeze through it make sure you run the boat for a while on the flush kit until it gets up to operating temp. so that way when you run the antifreeze through the thermostat will be open and you'll get it through the whole cooling system and just not part of it....
Hope this helps

zabooda
09-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Water freezing into ice increases in volume by 9% so you do not have to get all the water out but you must ensure that at least 10% of the water is removed from all areas so I do run compressed air into areas I drain.