PDA

View Full Version : Trailer talk

03outbackVT
09-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Curious if I am missing something? Is there a mechanism to block the momentum brakes from working? There have been a few times when I have needed to back the boat up an incline but no go. The brakes activate and thats all she wrote? Any thoughts/suggestions?

04OUTBACK
09-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Your trailer wiring should have 5 plugs that plug into your vehicle harness..
The 5th one is a trailer lockout.. If you don't have a 5 wire plug on your vehicle, you have to run a wire from your reverse lights on your vehicle to that plug. On the trailer wiring, from left to right, you should have a female plug with 4 male to the right... the far right male is your trailer brake wire...
Hope this helps...
My trailer came with a metal clip you can place at the point on the tongue where the surge brakes activate, but it is a pain..

kmcg
09-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Here is a link to how the trailer brake activation works. Also search trailer brakes in the maintenance forum and there are several postings about this.

http://www.ufpnet.com/

Buttafewcoe
09-17-2007, 06:42 AM
I don't have a 5 pin on my tow vehicle, but what I do is turn on the parking lights on then place the 5th pin on the trailer end to the parking light output on the tow vehicle. I don't have to do that very often, but when I need to back up on a slope, it's an easy work-a-round.
B

04OUTBACK
09-17-2007, 08:12 AM
If your vehicle has the towing package and comes with the round 7 pin wiring harness with the 7 pin to 4 pin adapter... They are real easy to replace with a 7 pin to 5 pin. Optronics makes them, so does Reese, etc. you can find them at auto parts stores or even in Wal Mart auto section.
BW

03outbackVT
09-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks guys! I got the answer I needed.
JC

gammapark
09-17-2007, 04:51 PM
My Moomba package came with a trailer lockout pin which prevents the piston from compressing and activating the brakes. You could contact your dealer or boatmate to get one.
Chris