PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on good beginner board....

AaronWhitt82
09-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a wakeboard package sometime soon so I can get a good closeout price.
I have wakeboarded a few times on a friends board before I bought my boat, but nothing serious. Mostly just crossing the wake and sliding around on it.
I want a board that will be easy to move around on and that I can get really familiar with how it handles and controls and what I can do with it. Also when I do move to the next level I want to board to have a decent amount of pop and also a good clean & soft landing to it. I don't know if I want a board that is loose or tight? Also I would prefer a board with a removable fin.
Unfortunately for me, 2 days after I bought the boat I was involved in a motorcycle accident where I hit about a 180lb. deer going 85mph. and luckily I came out with a broken femur, broken hand, nice gash to the head and alot of road rash. I am going through physical therapy right now for the leg and unfortunately won't be doing anything in the water this year so I get stuck towing all my buddies.

Here is some boards I've been considering, but don't know which to go with:

Hyperlite State with State bindings
Hyperlite Drive with Drive bindings
Liquid Force Team with Element Bindings
Liquid Force Trip with Alpha bindings
Ronix Vault with Cabal or Divide bindings
CWB Kink with Vapor bindings
CWB Faction with Faction bindings

Thanks in advance,
Aaron

04OUTBACK
09-12-2007, 09:48 PM
aaron,
The crash explains why you seem to be patient with the motor problems... you can't wakeboard anyway right now..
My $0.02..:
I bought a Cheap Mart CWB last year to learn on... great for learning but grew out of quick. Features I suggest you look for:
Good bindings... I bought my board and bindings separately...try ebay, evogear.com, grizzlysports.com....
Board.. Make sure you get the right length for weight/height... my current board (LF Litmus has two small fins on the outside and a short fin in the middle... It has perfect amount of control for me but allows easy switch.. I actually rode my old CWB saturday and it was like steering a train on the tracks.. (fins are like a surfboard!) Molded in outer fins are nice...

If you can find a local shop to test drive some, definitely do that.. but I guess you might have to wait to do that..

I am far from knowing a ton about boards... Main thing I can say is get good boots that support and fit well....

BW

AaronWhitt82
09-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Yeah because of the accident I am still unable to go back to my job so I basically have nothing to do all day and get really bored so it is perfect for me to take the boat apart and learn about everything and how it works and try to diagnose the problem yet.
It is kind of nice and saves me money instead of paying the marina.
It's still a bummer though that I can't wakeboard or ski, but I'd rather recover 100% and start fresh next year.

I think I've narrowed my choices down to the Hyperlite State, Liquid Force Team or the CWB Kink for now.....

Dave A
09-13-2007, 01:12 PM
My 1st board was a Hyperlite State 145 w/ State bindings. I like board. It is easy to ride and comfortable. I just bought a LF Substance, it is a little lighter and a little more responsive.

Dave

Buttafewcoe
09-13-2007, 05:22 PM
My first board was an O'Brien Ambush 143. I've since moved to an LF Evo 138 w/ elements.
I would buy a good board to start with, esp if you've already rode a little and want a board of your own. The O'Brien was my first experience with boarding, but knowing what I know now, I would've opt'd for the better equipment to learn on
Hope this helps
B