PDA

View Full Version : Updating a 2002 Outback - factory/aftermarket parts?

woodstock
09-10-2007, 02:12 PM
I became the owner of a used 2002 Outback this past weekend. Boat is plane jane with no options in mechanically great shape, 127 hours.

I had planned to take the dive on a brand new LSV but got a great deal on the outback and figure it will last me a couple years till I can afford to go that route.

Anyhow I want to use the boat for both skiing and wakeboarding. I'm a very good skier and a beginner wakeboarder who would like to get a lot better at boarding. Things I want to add over winter:

1) Tower, thinking moomba factory tower although open to suggestions. I don't care for the looks of the Monster but it looks well built and price wise it may overtake my issue with aesthetics. In regards to factory, do you need to go with a 2002 vintage stock tower or will the new rad-a-cage fit?

2) Ballast System - again thinking factory but not sure what ballast was possible in an 02. I assume they used the rear storage compartment, where else did Momba put bags? I'd like to use stock wiring harness etc... if possible. Not against aftermarket it just seems easier to go with stock components. I'm a pretty capable mechanic so I may be overthinking this based on some other posts.

3) Wake Plate - again thinking factory is the only option. Wake plate is a $900 option on new boats any idea on how much to add afterwards. Is it a requirement or a nice to have in terms of this boat?

I'm thinking of adding all 3 depending on $'s is there anything else I need to do to make the boat more wakeboardable?

Thanks,
Don

04OUTBACK
09-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Congrats Woodstock.
I just sold an 04 Outback... Here is what I know..
Tower... you'll probably come out better with an aftermarket tower than from buying an OEM Tower... I like the XTP's myself..
Ballast...04 Outback factory ballast was under back seat...to get a great wake, you'll need 400lbs under rear seat... maybe some on both sides of motor and a tube sac in the front walkway.
Wakeplate...From what I have heard, the wakeplate does not make much difference on the Outback.. My outback rode pretty flat... you might get a little shape improvement with it, but don't know if I would spend the $coin on it...

Best of luck...enjoy.

woodstock
09-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the info. Spent the last few hours working really hard, ok actually reading the first 50 pages in this forum and it seems as if others agree the wakeplate doesn't do much for an outback as it has the flat bottom. I live on a small pond, 297 acres so I don't have to deal with a lot of traffic or chop.

I called new dimension and they are running a sale on their towers right now 15% off. $1440 + $90 freight. This is the oem tower right? I need to call back as I want to ensure the tower folds down.

http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/galleries/moomba/1999-2000_OutbackLS.html

Sounds like I'll need quite a bit of ballast. Maybe I'll start with the rear compartment and see how it goes. Can you use the under seat compartments in the front for ballast? I'd like to keep the floor of the boat open is possible.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help,
Don

04OUTBACK
09-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I think you will be able to use the space under the front seats for ballast.. may require custom bags thought. The storage behind the seat is not suitable for ballast as the floor is not strong enough.. it is just a subfloor over the fuel tank...

qb12
09-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the info. Spent the last few hours working really hard, ok actually reading the first 50 pages in this forum and it seems as if others agree the wakeplate doesn't do much for an outback as it has the flat bottom. I live on a small pond, 297 acres so I don't have to deal with a lot of traffic or chop.

I called new dimension and they are running a sale on their towers right now 15% off. $1440 + $90 freight. This is the oem tower right? I need to call back as I want to ensure the tower folds down.

http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/galleries/moomba/1999-2000_OutbackLS.html

Sounds like I'll need quite a bit of ballast. Maybe I'll start with the rear compartment and see how it goes. Can you use the under seat compartments in the front for ballast? I'd like to keep the floor of the boat open is possible.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help,
Don

new dimension is by far the way to go. if you go with the newer style it folds to the front. that is a heck of a price.

when i bought my old 02 outback, it was a bank repo. well the people that had it repoed removed the stock tower (old style). dealer i bought the boat from ordered the new style from new dimension and it fit great. wayne is great to deal with.

Sled491
09-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Looks good on the tower, and like said before, no go on the sak in the rear storage, needs to go under the rear seat. Does the tower come with mounting kit for that price?

03outbackVT
09-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Regarding the wakeplate, I have a different opinion. It does shape the wake as mentioned but also adds a good bit of height. Keep in mind I am also using 725lb ballast bag under the seat when wakeboarding. When wakesurfing the plate is absolutely crucial to get the wave the right height. I also add alot more ballast weight as well.