PDA

View Full Version : Upholstery falling apart!

07-31-2003, 05:24 PM
We bought our 2002 Moomba Kamberra last September in Phoenix at Surfside Boats. It now has about 25 hrs. on it and the back sun deck (motor cover) had completely ripped apart at the seam. The rolled seam is OK, but the flat seam started to fray and then just blew apart in the wind. There is also a fray beginning up in the bow, but it is more protected and hasn't gone any farther. We keep our boat in a totally enclosed garage (and even cover it in the garage) so it is not exposed to the elements unless it is in use.

I called the dealer and they said they can order new skins from Skier's Choice and send them to us (which we will do). I'm just wondering if this is a normal thing. It makes me nervous on such a new boat.

2002Kamberra_in_AZ
07-31-2003, 05:47 PM
OK, for whatever reason, my post didn't work so I'll try it again. The title is showing up, but the message isn't....I'm new to this, so if you see this as a double post, I apologize!

We have a 2002 Moomba Kamberra that we purchased last September from Surfside Boats in Tempe, AZ. We now have approximately 25 hours on it and the seams are starting to come apart.

About a month ago the back sundeck (engine cover, but you can tell what I use it for!) started to fray. The rolled edge seam is fine, but the flat seam is the one that failed. It started small and then last weekend completely ripped open in the wind. There is another fray happening in the front bow seating, but it is more protected and isn't taking the beating that the back seam did. We keep it in a completely enclosed garage (and use the cover even when it is in the garage) so it is not exposed to the elements unless we are using it.

I've contacted our dealer and they said they will order new skins from Skier's Choice and send them to us. I'm just wondering if this normal. Has anything like this happened to anyone else? It really makes me nervous on such a new boat.

rrmuf
08-07-2003, 07:52 AM
Only thing that comes to mind is whether or not you've used a harsh cleaner (bleach-deritive) on the vinyl...it will cause it to crack, likely at or near the seams --- especially in the hot sun down there.

Can you determine whether it is really the seam that has let go vs. the vinyl ripping at the seam?

hamiltonjct
08-12-2003, 10:08 AM
I have the same exact problem with my '99 Outback LS. The problem for me was the actual thread. The vinyl was still good. I had my rear trunk sewn up last year and need to sew up all of the bow backrests. Ironically the problem only seems to be at the color change seams. The edge seams all have held quite well but they are also more sheltered from the elements.

Jonathan Hamilton
'99 Outback LS