PDA

View Full Version : New to V-Drives.. what do I need to know.

04OUTBACK
09-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Just switched from Direct Drive to a V-Drive. What all do I need to know.
Is there any kwirks? Different services?
I saw on here that there is a bulletin going around about changing the V-Drive Fluid at 20 hrs... does not seem to be mentioned in the manual. Also, I have seen on here recently that a full V-Drive fluid service including cleaning screens requires pulling the engine to get under tranny!? @#$@#$ WOW???

I have noticed a V-Drive drives differently! Slow turns mainly... The DD Outback would spin on a dime even going slow.. V-Drive takes a little more forward progress to get a good turn..

Lovin the LSV...

JesseC
09-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Did you get a copy of the VDrive manual with the boat? The only thing I do to the VDrive is use a vacuum pump to get the oil out, pull the two magnetic plugs and clean them; as well as removing the lower hose to clean the pickup screen. I would probably only do the screen about every other season. Besides that everything is pretty much thes same as the DDrive. The screen that they say you have to do a lot of work to clean is the trans screen and I have not attempted that one!!

04OUTBACK
09-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks Jesse. did get all the manuals..
Spent some time this weekend poking around a little trying to get to know the motor/trans a little better.. did a fuel filter change and oil/filter change.

Just a lot different than DDrive.. looks like impeller change will be a booger..

I'll study the manual some.
BW

qb12
09-10-2007, 09:07 AM
in regards to the impeller, go to skidim.com and order the impeller remover. also sometimes avail at boaters world.

make the job a heck of a lot easier.

JesseC
09-10-2007, 09:31 AM
The first time I did the impeller change it took me about two hours. This last season it took me roughly 30 minutes! The only reason it took so long is that I am one of those people that like to pull the entire pump and "inspect" it (does the shaft wiggle bearing test, look at the weep hole...), replace the impeller and then put the pump back!! You can change the impeller without removing the pump and it is a lot quicker. I just like to coat the inside of the pump with plumbers grease as well as the impeller before installation. This year, I will probably just pull the impeller.