PDA

View Full Version : winterization

NC05LSV
09-07-2007, 08:24 PM
ok self winterizers do you run antifreeze through the engine to get any water that is left over inside or not? I know that was standard with an I/O. I am looking at saving the bazillion dollars and winterize myself. Thanks

Buttafewcoe
09-07-2007, 09:46 PM
No antifreeze in mine. I drain the block, hoses, and lines. Boat is stored in a garage but garage is not heated. Mine's a DD. Don't know how that affects your decision on wot u do with yer V
I'm right down the road from you in Hickory
B

NC05LSV
09-07-2007, 10:24 PM
thanks for the information. I am probably not going to run the antifreeze. we get 1 or 2 hard freezes a year here so it should not be a big deal.

NC05LSV
09-07-2007, 10:31 PM
missed the part about you being in Hickory. that is just down the road. Good to see more moombas running around here. I am surrounded by CC and MC and Malibu. Where do you normally ride at?

Buttafewcoe
09-08-2007, 07:36 AM
If we get out early enough, in the main channel. Usually from Oxford Dam up to where US-127 crosses the river. That is about a 6 or 7 mile stretch.
Once traffic picks up, you can find us over at the sandbar by Rink Dam doing some 12oz. curls and catching some eye candy
B

Buttafewcoe
09-08-2007, 08:47 AM
I have put in @ US-127 and actually rode me board all the way to Oxford.
Did not fall once, but my arms felt like rubber when I was done.
:o
B

NC05LSV
09-08-2007, 09:03 AM
unfortunately I have not had a chance to ride over there yet. We have been riding a lot in the cape fear river this year. It's about 100 yards wide and 16-20 feet deep where we ride. We have a stretch of water that is 16 miles long that I have tried to ride the entire distance a couple of times. Both times it ended badly with me trying some move that I can't do on a good day much less when my arms are smoked. I think I am going to give it a shot again today...probably with the same results

smokedog2
09-08-2007, 09:58 AM
I suggest antifreeze and dont forgget the heater coil if you have them

Buttafewcoe
09-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Dog, as funky as the weather's been this year, you may be right.
B

NC05LSV
09-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Smokedog....how do you get it in the boat...not to sound stupid but I have the plunger style garden hose attachement. Forgive my cherryosity

Nafplio
09-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Followed the winterization procedure in the indmar manual (drained the block) last season. It gets fairly cold here and had no problems.

NC05LSV
09-14-2007, 05:11 PM
anyone know how you get the antifreeze in the engine? Or do you just pour it in the hoses until it runs out the back?

pjtatro
09-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Make sure you warm up the boat on the hose to make sure the thermostat opens b4 running the anti-freeze thru, otherwise you will bypass some critical areas.

Pete

NH Moomba
09-15-2007, 08:35 AM
After draining the block I just disconnect the intake hose right before the impeller inlet. I bought some clear tubing at Home Depot about 3 feet long and connect that to the inlet with a hose clamp and put the other end in a bucket full of RV antifreeze. When I see antifreeze coming out the exhaust, I start the fogging oil and shut it down. I then drain the block again and disconnect the hose that connects the exhaust manifolds. Next I remove the impeller. Make sure you flush it out again in the spring before you put it in the lake.

NC05LSV
09-15-2007, 09:26 AM
thanks NH that is exactly what I was looking for. I will give it a shot. thanks again

NH Moomba
09-16-2007, 02:56 PM
I forgot to tell you to warm the engine up first to get the thermostat open.

Andy

NC05LSV
09-16-2007, 07:57 PM
got it..thanks again

Pike
09-22-2007, 07:33 PM
I live in Southern California. Do I really need to winterize my boat? Thanks for the info

NC05LSV
09-22-2007, 10:15 PM
If there is absolutely no chance of freezing then you won't have to winterize. Lots of people here don't winterize and keep boat in heated garage for good weather days. Most important thing is changing the fluids as if you were winterizing at about the same time.

Pike
09-23-2007, 08:58 PM
If there is absolutely no chance of freezing then you won't have to winterize. Lots of people here don't winterize and keep boat in heated garage for good weather days. Most important thing is changing the fluids as if you were winterizing at about the same time.

So If I don't plan to use the boat through the "winter" here in So Cal, I just need to change the fluids? Do you mean like a 20 hr service or like just an oil change.

Could I do all of this at the begining of next season? Thanks again for any info

04OUTBACK
09-23-2007, 10:30 PM
I hate to see all this talk of winterization.. it reminds me I soon will not be able to wakeboard.. We rode til late Oct last year and I winterized in November... Even being a hunter, I want a warm fall!

NC05LSV
09-23-2007, 11:41 PM
If it is not going to freeze then you technically only have to change your fluids at their regular interval ie. 50hrs for oil and once a year for transmission and v-drive. For those of us that have the freezing temps it is when we have all of the yearly stuff done...impellar, fluids, lubing cables, painting over rust spots on engine etc. I wish I had your problems. We will be done here in OCT. You could let your boat sit as is and do it all before you start up but the water that gets into the oil etc is not good if it sits over extended periods.....almost forgot the Stabil for the gas and fogging the engine that you probably want to do no matter what. Your engine manual has every step laid out for you and how often to do it. good luck

moomba_armada
09-24-2007, 04:06 AM
Just to be sure...

I am going to get the boat out off the water next week.Temps here donīt get so low in the winter..but the sea a bit rough to run during those months, so better donīt run the boat.
Temps are around 0š Celsius maybe a week or so at half winter, boat will be in a non heated garage with the cover on, engine cooling system is a half system, heat exchanger, antifreeze fluid then...
Am I wrong if I just do the fogging oil and the Stabil addition?

Thanks all.

zabooda
09-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Just be prepared to add heat to the engine box or drain the engine if you get one of those 100 year winters which occur more often than once every 100 years. If your record low temperatures are around freezing or higher chances are you would only need to add heat on occasion. If you are away from home a lot in the winter you may consider winterizing as you may not be around to protect your baby.

moomba_armada
09-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Sorry for my ignorance about technical matters...if my engine is a closed cooled system, I infer I only need to drain the sea water affected part of the engine, not the closed cooled system...? Is that what you mean,Zabooda?
I wish I had an Indmar service here..... :roll:

Thanks Z

Buttafewcoe
09-24-2007, 02:43 PM
If the closed system has antifreeze in it then you are right. Just drain the part that deals with the raw water.
Hope this helps
B

moomba_armada
09-24-2007, 02:47 PM
It sure helped Mr.B :wink:
No doubts now....for a while :lol:

zabooda
09-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Closed cooling you have it easy. I forgot you had it. For fresh water cooling, you either winterize or roll the dice.

moomba_armada
09-26-2007, 06:30 AM
Well...it wouldīt take too long till I had another doubt...I know. :roll:
Indmar manual, chapter 7 – 7, paragraph 5:

5. Coat threads of he heat exchanger drain plug and anode with pipe sealant and install.

At the end of that same chapter:

NOTICE

Never use pipe thread tape or sealant on sacrificial anodes as they must maintain electrical contact with the housing.

Am I wrong if one isntruction tells me to do one thing and other instruction says that donīt...?

Also do anyone know what impeller fits 2007 Outback V with closed cooled system?

Buttafewcoe
09-26-2007, 02:17 PM
You definately want the anode to be touching metal. By coating with teflon tape you will create what amounts to insulation.
B

moomba_armada
09-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Oh I understood that,Butta...but it says not using tape or sealant when first instruction says,use sealant.I just wanted to be sure if I can use pipe thread sealant..wouldnīt use teflon tape anyway, of course anode wouldnīt work...

Thanks for the advice

Waynes345
09-28-2007, 03:25 PM
As this is my first year with an inboard, I called Discount Inboard Marine for winterization supplies. They were very helpful going so far as to call PCM to verify filters. I believe it was Vince I talked to and I have been very happy with the service.

spyder
10-02-2007, 02:25 PM
For Winterization, you want to fill the gas tank and place stabilizer fluid in the gas correct?

Buttafewcoe
10-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Yes spyder, that is correct. Be sure to run your engine after putting sta-bil in so you have the sta-bil circulated throughout the fuel system.
B

spyder
10-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Oooo good advice, Thanks

I'll make sure to toss some in at the end of the set on the weekend as that will be the last time out

Buttafewcoe
10-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Dump it in b4 you head out, won't hurt anything and you'll be sure to have all way around.
B

AaronWhitt82
10-04-2007, 03:31 PM
For Winterization, you want to fill the gas tank and place stabilizer fluid in the gas correct?

I thought you want the fuel tank as empty as possible because ethanol attracts water and moisture? At least thats what someone told me....

zabooda
10-04-2007, 04:41 PM
I have always drained the tank because their is no corrosion issues with the plactic tanks and then use fresh gas in the spring. I use the fuel pump connected to a battery source and pump the tank dry into gas cans then I take one gallon of gas and stabilizer and pour back in the tank and run that through the engine. In the spring, I pump out the gallon of gas, change the gas filter and fill with fresh gas. I have never had any problems and what I see with ethanol based gas there are water induced issues with the alcohol. You use less stabilizer and hopefully the gas will be cheaper in the spring.

NC05LSV
10-04-2007, 08:04 PM
I fill her up and put in the sta-bil.

Armada: the thread sealant is the non setting type that has teflon in it. You don't want the setting type of sealant or you will have a hard time taking them out next time. The anode is different because of the connection required. I think they were referencing the V-drive drain plugs, impellar screws, and engine drain plugs all of which need the sealant. I leave mine out all winter and then put the sealant on them in the spring before I fire it up.