PDA

View Full Version : Slalom course

racerready
09-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Hey gang,

Looking for a good place to buy a slalom course for next season. New or used doesn't matter. I'm in about 30 feet of water and am a recreational skier, any suggestions.

On a side note I just picked up an 06 Concept and it's beating the snot out of me but I'll get it. Where would I find info about setting the angle on the fin?

BensonWdby
09-05-2007, 06:55 PM
http://www.schnitzskis.com/skitips/skituning.html

If you hover over the Ski Tips menu option near the top, the drop down will show you several different options for tuning, like fin, bindings, wing, etc...

I am on an older Concept and love it. A few friends have tried mine and bought their own. One got an 06 67", the other an 07 66". Both are loving it.

The ski wants you to ski properly. Have someone you trust closely watch or take video and see how much of your ski is in the water in the pre-turn. A general rule of thumb I have used is to try to ge my front foot in the water going into the turn. This maximizes the control surfaces of the ski - the bottom of the ski and the wing (on the fin). Per Schnitz's recommendation I had one of my friends move his front binding froward from the factory placement and he noticed an immediate improvement in the amount of ski in the water and stability (less squirrelly)

I run my wing at about 9 degrees. I am currently skiing 34 MPH and 28 off in rough water, 38 off in calm water - NOT in the course, but still having tons of fun. If you are running 32 MPH or under and/or 22 off or longer, you can probably take the wing off. I don't think anyone in the real world uses more than 10 degrees, but I am no where near qualified to actually make that statement.

As far as slalom courses - Insta-slalom and EZ Slalom I think are the two big names out there. And I think you may actually be able to search the archives on this board for someone who posted all the ingredients for build your own from scratch.

Have fun
Dave

Laz
09-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Where are you planning on setting up this course? I currently ski either in the Holland River or Muskoka.

I recently found a website where they sell a portable course for about $800. http://www.ez-slalom.com/

Also, I recently tried out the Concept. I liked it so much that I gave it to my dad and then got the F1X. Last week I tried it out on a course for the first time in my life. On my 4th pass I was able to get 5/6 at 30 mph at 15' off. Very exciting.