PDA

View Full Version : 20 hour checkup

wezl4
09-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Do I have to pay for my first 20 hour checkup, or is that part of the boat purchase?

tazz3069
09-05-2007, 08:40 AM
It all depends on the Dealer. I took mine in recently and did not get charge a thing. Call your dealership's salesperson and ask them.
Tazz

jburnside
09-07-2007, 01:28 PM
I had to pay for mine on both Moomba boats I have owned. It definately depends on your dealer.

Laz
09-08-2007, 10:09 AM
How important is to have the 20 hour service at the Moomba dealer?

I have to trailer the boat for 2 1/2 hours to get it there. We have a reasonably good local marine mechanic who runs a large marina. Do you think there is any good reason not to have it done locally?

I will make sure I go over all the details in the owners manual with him.

Thanks.

tazz3069
09-08-2007, 09:19 PM
They change the oil and check all the fluids, cable, and connections. It should say it all in you owners manuel.

Smrtz
09-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Laz,

the 20 Hr oil change is very important. The first oil that they put in the engine has a soap material that helps clean out and residue from the manufacturing process. As far as I know it will break down faster because of its composition.

The other fluid changes are important because you want to make sure that everything is working correctly. The fluids generally show the first signs that something is wrong.

I must admit I was not happy with a 300.00 visit back to the dealer 2 weeks after I dropped all the $ on a brand new boat.. but, in hind site Im glad I did beacuse the mechanic took time to go over the boat with me showed me how to change the impeller check the brake fluid in the trailor ..stuff like that.

Laz
09-14-2007, 11:30 AM
I definitely not going to miss the 20 hour service.

I spoke directly to Indmar and they told me that and reliable marine mechanic can perform the regular maintenance properly (such as the 20 hour service). However, they recommend the dealer only for warranty work.

So, I faxed the relevant pages of the owners manual to my local service guy and will get it serviced in the week or two.

Thanks.

Buttafewcoe
09-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Going to the dealer is also an important step in building a relationship with them. I believe it shows you have trust in them and value their input as to the issues you may or may not be having.
My 'guys' jump right on my concerns; answering questions over the phone, promptly returning e-mails, or getting me beloved boat back the next day.
Heck, when I had my prob with the anti-siphon valve, they fixed it right there in the parking lot. 30 minutes.
Is it mandatory you go to the dealer for it? Prolly not, these days I do oil changes and preventive maintenance myself, but they remember me when I call.
B

Laz
09-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Hi. I just came back from our local boat show and had a chat with my dealer. He told me that the 20 hour check is quite detailed and includes everything done in the PDI (predelivery inspection) plus checking the engine, drivetrain alignment and all the fluid changes and checks.

So, I've decided to trailer the boat to him, get the dealer to do the 20 hour check, winterize the boat and store it indoors for the winter.

I want this boat to be in mint condition for the next 10 years!

Buttafewcoe
09-16-2007, 06:41 AM
Great. Hope it works out for you.
B