PDA

View Full Version : trailer..... tandem vs single axle??

wakevet
08-30-2007, 06:35 PM
I just got my 06 Mobius LSV a couple weeks ago and it came with a single axle trailer. I was asked by someone why it didn't have a tandem axle and now I'm wondering the same thing. I know they come standard with a single axle but will it make much difference. We trailer the boat 5-6 hours on a weekend (2.5-3 hours each way), would a tandem axle trailer be easier to tow with? How would I go about trading the single in for a tandem, or is it even worth it?
On another note, there is water entering by the drive shaft, enough that the bilge pumps out about a gallon every 15 minutes. Do I need to tighten the 'packing nut' or should I haul it in for a service?
(as long as the bilge is working we're ok!)

qb12
08-30-2007, 06:50 PM
I just got my 06 Mobius LSV a couple weeks ago and it came with a single axle trailer. I was asked by someone why it didn't have a tandem axle and now I'm wondering the same thing. I know they come standard with a single axle but will it make much difference. We trailer the boat 5-6 hours on a weekend (2.5-3 hours each way), would a tandem axle trailer be easier to tow with? How would I go about trading the single in for a tandem, or is it even worth it?
On another note, there is water entering by the drive shaft, enough that the bilge pumps out about a gallon every 15 minutes. Do I need to tighten the 'packing nut' or should I haul it in for a service?
(as long as the bilge is working we're ok!)

tighten the packing nut. but not to tight....

in regards to the trailer, are you having any tow problems. i have had both and each have their advantages and disadvantages. dual, maybe a little better ride and have the comfort level should you have a blow out. single axle a Heck of a lot easier to back into tight places, less maintance and tire replacement.

no matter which trailer, if you don't have a spare- get one.

deerfield
08-30-2007, 06:57 PM
wakevet - Paid extra for a tandem axle trailer when we placed an order for our 07 Outback DD. Simply wanted the peace of mind for highway driving. No regrets on having spent the extra money. qb is right about the spare. That's a must. - Deerfield

NC05LSV
08-30-2007, 07:28 PM
short answer is that you are far better off with a tandem axle trailer when you are towing that much. I have a single and wish that I had bought a tandem. biggest advantage is the security when you have a blow out..especially on the highway. That being said, I give special attention to making sure that my pressure in the tires is correct and have invested in some pretty heavy duty straps to tie the boat down at the back. It would cost you an arm and a leg if you already have taken delivery to change to a tandem now. Single axle is capable and I have had no major issues with mine at all. Good luck to you.

Pike
08-31-2007, 01:10 AM
I agree that the tandem is much better. The one thing that I like about freeway driving is the trailer wont sway as much as on a single axle.

canuckskier
09-02-2007, 01:44 PM
I had the same thing happen to me. 2 Weeks after I ordered the boat ('06 Outback) I tried to change my trailer to a tandem. They said they couldn't, so I have a single.

When at home, we trailer 80 miles three times a week to go skiing. Then once a year we take it across Canada to our cabin 2400 miles away.

Needless to say, I think we tow maybe more than most. The advice already posted has been spot on. Take very careful note of tire pressures, and look for any signs of sidewall/tread damage.

Have a spare, and it sounds obvious, but check the spare's pressure when you are checking the running tires.

And buy a diesel if you can.

canuckskier
09-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Forgot to add. Have never had my single-axle trailer sway once... Ever.

zabooda
09-02-2007, 03:30 PM
I have a single axle trailer also and no sway. I would think one could trade a new trailer for a dual but I bet it is the mess with the registration and showing a previous owner otherwise who would know it's been slightly used.

Buttafewcoe
09-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Single axle also....what's the prob?
B

desert wake 360
09-02-2007, 08:04 PM
i had a blow out with my tandem. didn't even notice until i saw sparks flying from the wheel well. Didn't have a spare, but was able to get home (slowly on back streets). I love the tandem trailer. it saved my butt. (when i got home, tried to jack the boat up, couldn't do it with a 2 ton jack. had to borrow the neighbors 3 ton...my point being that even if I had a spare, my truck jack wouldn't have given me enough clearance to put it on.) how does everyone else do it?

wakevet
09-03-2007, 01:49 AM
thanx for all the advice. I will try to tighten the packing nut tomorrow, I'm hoping it won't be that much of a struggle.
As for the trailer, I agree that I need a spare and I'll be getting one this week. I guess I won't bother getting a tandem now, I do check the tire pressures and the tire condition before long tows.

deerfield
09-03-2007, 10:29 AM
desert wake - Pull or back the trailer just enough so the good tire rides up onto a wedge-shaped block of wood. This raises the flat tire far enough to be free of the ground and can be removed from the axle. Heard this from another boater. No personal experience myself. Seems that it would be simple and safe. No need for a jack. - Deerfield