PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurf Wake

calpal10
08-30-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm trying to get the hang of wakesurfing and have not been able to find the right wake yet. I've got an 03 mobius v with gravity 3 ballast. I have tried damn near everything to get the wake to have a nice curl to it but all i get is a washy wake. I've tried: loading only one corner with ballast and people, loading both back ballast and ppl in one corner, loading all the ballast with ppl in the back corner, different speeds (9mph to 12 mph), different wakeplate settings, different placement of ppl. Nothing seems to work to get the wake to not be washy... :evil: Anybody have any suggestions or other ideas??? I ride regular on the port side. I love the sport (even with having to hold on to a rope) but am getting frustrated with the whole wake situation and not being able to go "ropeless".

llxlv
08-30-2007, 05:43 PM
I didnt read that you are loading the center bag. You need to sink the front of the boat to get a clean wake.

JoeTechie
08-30-2007, 09:03 PM
I know Ed may dissagree but... try loading the one corner, and a bit of the center, wakeplate full up, then drive in a large arcing circle (into the loaded corner) - that extra of the angle of the boat helps smooth out some of the wash.

-Joe

Rugburn
08-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Using MadtownMobius' LSV, we got a nice surf wake filling just one bag in the rear and completely filled the locker bag. Wakeplate all the way up. One thing we found, 9mph was the speed. If we went faster or slower even 1mph, we couldnt go ropeless. Also drove in a circle, that helped, just like Joe mentioned.

When I was first trying to surf, I couldnt go ropeless and I thought it was the wake. It was me. I was too far back on the board. I found that if I centered myself on the board and put more weight on my front foot, I put nice slack in the rope. You cant do that outside the wake or you will nosedive.

Just my .02

calpal10
08-31-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I will definitely try em all. I'm eager to get the hang of it!

joe98684
08-31-2007, 03:52 PM
I have a 2007 LSV. I find it best to fill both ski locker and one side ballast bag. Try to get everyone to shift to that rear corner as much as possible. Also helps if you put one or two people, depending on how many are in the boat, up in the bow. That extra weight in the bow helps to clean out the wash on the wake. I usually run anywhere from 9 to 11 mph (checked by GPS) and can ride ropeless forever. When you run a little faster, the sweet spot is farther back.. .slower and you will be right up on the boat. Center yourself on the board and shift more weight on front foot to speed up, more weight on rear foot to slow down. Important thing that I remember, is generally the sweet spot on the wake is in the lower third of the wake... not at the top where the curl is.
Hope this helps

Buttafewcoe
09-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Spoken like a true wake surfer dude!!
B

cab13367
09-03-2007, 03:32 AM
calpal,

Here's a video of my 11 year old surfing behind our 2006 LSV.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=17293529

Set up is front (400lbs) and port (275 lbs) side bags filled, 4 adults and 2 kids on the boat, wakeplate halfway down, speed 11 mph, water depth about 25 - 30', and driving straight down the river (not in a big circle). My son is on a Hyperlite Coex board (4'-4"). He can ride forever.

Ed,

I've got the CWB Ride and I can't seem to get consistent slack. I think the wake is plenty big enough, even for my 175 lbs. Maybe you are right, my stance is all wrong. If I send you a video of me surfing, would you mind taking a look and telling me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Al

cab13367
09-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks Ed. Can anyone else let me know if you are able to see the video of my 11 year old son?

The video of me wakesurfing is 10MB - will it make it thru your aol account? I'll give it a try. You can see that I sometimes get slack but can't mantain it. Also, I'm sorry but the video is taken with the camera in "portrait" position so it plays sideways.

In response to your other suggestions, I have everyone seated on the aft/port side of the boat as much as possible, and no one in front. I do have the front bag filled as well as the port rear bag. It looks to me like the wake is plenty big. My stance is as you describe and I know about shifting weight front and back to speed up and slow down but I can't seem to stay in the sweet spot.

Thanks,

Al

cab13367
09-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Ed,

I sent it to your abb e-mail account so I hope it gets through.

Thanks again.

Al

04OUTBACK
09-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Saw the YouTube video just fine of you son.. He looks great

cab13367
09-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Ed,

Thanks for the input. I will try slowing down. Interestingly, I tried using the Coex after I failed to free ride on the CWB Ride and it seemed like there wasn't a lot of different between the two boards even though the Coex is almost a foot shorter, so I am thinking that the Coex has a better shape??. Consequently, I am considering selling the Ride and getting a Hyperlite Broadcast 5'-6". It looks like the Broadcast is the same shape as the Coex, but over a foot longer, so I should be able to freeride. What do you think?

Thanks,

Al

cab13367
09-05-2007, 02:55 PM
I hate to be brutally frank, but....if you have problems free-riding with the CWB, odds are you are gonna have the same problems with another board.

No problem Ed, you are probably right. I just figured a little larger board might help but maybe not. I will definitely try going slower next time and also try to bring more people (i.e., ballast) as well.

Al