PDA

View Full Version : Outback DD viable for wakeboarding?

ledzep70
08-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Hi there, please excuse any ignorance on my part, as I am new to all this. I currently own a '94 Sunbird Stinger. It was fun for tubing, my fiance skis very well on it, and I started wakeboarding 2 years ago. The wake produced from this boat is rather small, and I'd likk to upgrade.

My question is this: Is the 2007 Outback dd good for wakeboarding? I understand it is great for skiers. I can get a nice deal on one this week. Should I hold out for an Outback V?

I have read that with the factory ballast beneath the floorboard (I think it is 400#, part of a wakeboard package, has the tower also) and the 440# twin bags, that the Outback DD can put up a nice wake. And still be good for a skier.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

deerfield
08-27-2007, 06:17 PM
led - My sons, ages 21 and 14, are first year wakeboarders. They do fine behind our Outback dd with tower and 400 lb rear ballast. Plenty of room for improvement before needing a specialty wakeboard boat. - Deerfield

04OUTBACK
08-27-2007, 08:19 PM
LED,
Just sold an '04 outback. Great Boat. With properly balanced weight, it is great. There are several posts on the message board from other Outback Owners. Unless you are a really aggressive rider looking to get Big Air, you'll enjoy the best of both worlds as it throws a SMooth wake for slalom.
I sold to upgrade to LSV as I wanted the room of the V Drive and Gravity Ballas system. (I had manual sacs)

Running the 400lb sac and twin 440's will be great. My best wake came from having 7 Adults in the boat while towing... 2 in front, 1 driver, 1 spotter and 2 in back seat. I would guestimate total weight of passengers while I was riding to have been around 1100 lbs. The wake was perfect.
Outback V will give you more interior room, storage and a little better wake.
My Suggestion: If you only want a wake boat, get the V.
If you want to be able to enjoy both, get the DD.
Enjoy..Hurry up and buy before it cools off!

ledzep70
08-28-2007, 12:47 AM
Thank you guys very much for your replies. I think that the DD is the best choice.

Where is a good website to get the 440 wet sacks and what type should we look for? Do they just sit in the back of the boat by the rear seats?

When we go out on the lake, it is usually just 3 to 5 of us total (one guy is about 280 lbs so he will work out good!). Given that, would you recommend a sack along the walkway leading to the front of the boat for extra weight and to maintain that 60/40 balance? Thanks again for your time. I am learning a lot from these forums.

04OUTBACK
08-28-2007, 08:04 AM
I would Google 440 lb Fat Sac and see what you can find. Lots of places are running end of summer sales: wakeside.com has a pair of 440's for $199 try buywake.com too.
If you don't have anyone sitting up front, some weight in the walkway will help. I had a 275 lb'er that I put in there. Look on Ebay and search Moomba... There is a seller on there who has some factory over runs of Moomba/Fly High sacs... they were oem for some of the v drive Grav III sets. You will have to put different fittings on it though as it is set up for being plumbed to pumps..

BW

Limishowman3
08-29-2007, 10:17 PM
I recentl got the 07 DD Outback this summer. And yes it is a good boat for wakeboarding and skiing/salom. The wake isnt real huge, but its good for learning and if you know how to ride you can get some big air off of it. I just have the factory 400# sac and usually go out with 3 to 5 friends. One of my friends can almost land a tantrum and the other one can get atleast 4 ft high in the air. go here to check out my vids behind our boat.
www.youtube.com/limishowman3. My most recent vid is us behind our new boat. Im not the best but I am still learning.

deerfield
08-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Limi - Got this error message: "Not Found The requested URL /limishowman3. was not found on this server." :? Please check and repost. Would enjoy seeing the vids. :D Thanks. - Deerfield

scoot_gt
08-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Deerfield -

Delete the period (.) from the end of the link.