PDA

View Full Version : Outback LS vs. Mobius LS

Garn
08-27-2007, 11:56 AM
What is the difference between these two boats? Are they the same boat? Is there a difference in the hull? Design? I'm looking to purchase one or the other. But I don't know what the difference is. I'm looking used, such as in a 2005, 06, or 07 model.

Thank you.

SEARK
08-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Mobius is bigger and is the wakeboard design.

Dave A
08-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Outback LS and Mobius LS are the same boat. The Mobius comes with a tower and ballast. The Outback is a AWSA ski boat, so if you concetrate on skiing, then that is you boat. In '05 the Outback was 20'6" and the LS was 20'8" with a hull set up to produce more wake. The direct drive LS will produce a very nice ski wake, but just not as nice as the Outback. A wake plate helps shape the wake and keep the boat from porpoising at speed. The V is the old LS/LSV design. The new LS/LSV are significantly larger, you can get dimensions on the web site. They changed the LS/LSV in '06, so if you are looking, the '05 & '06 LS/LSV models are different. I have an '05 LS, and if I had to do it over again I would buy the LSV. I will never be a competive skier and the extra room would be worth the extra wake.

Outback = Outback
Outback V = '05 Outback/Mobius LSV

volfo
08-27-2007, 04:08 PM
from your other post, you said you were looking to ski primarily. If that is the case, you might look at the used outback/mobius ls from 2001-2005. That was a different hull that was slightly smaller and not quite as deep as the current outback ls/mobius ls. In fact, it is the same hull now used on the outback v. I was looking for one and recently bought a 2001 Outback LS. Again, that hull was in both the Outback LS and Mobius LS from 2001 through 2005. It went in the Outback V starting in 2006. You can look under "about moomba" and then "archive" on the top of this website and look up the measurements/specs for each boat each model year.

I'm not a great skier, but I think it skis really well. It is also a pretty decent family boat. There is lots of storage. Unless you carry multiple wakeboards, everything has a place and fits in it. If you carry lots of wakeboards, you'll probably have a tower and they can go up there. I think that at 19-22 mph it throws a decent wake for beginning wakeboarding and kneeboarding and at around 30 to 32 mph and 15 off the wake really settles down for slalom skiing.

volfo
08-27-2007, 04:09 PM
from your other post, you said you were looking to ski primarily. If that is the case, you might look at the used outback/mobius ls from 2001-2005. That was a different hull that was slightly smaller and not quite as deep as the current outback ls/mobius ls. In fact, it is the same hull now used on the outback v. I was looking for one and recently bought a 2001 Outback LS. Again, that hull was in both the Outback LS and Mobius LS from 2001 through 2005. It went in the Outback V starting in 2006. You can look under "about moomba" and then "archive" on the top of this website and look up the measurements/specs for each boat each model year.

I'm not a great skier, but I think it skis really well. It is also a pretty decent family boat. There is lots of storage. Unless you carry multiple wakeboards, everything has a place and fits in it. If you carry lots of wakeboards, you'll probably have a tower and they can go up there. I think that at 19-22 mph it throws a decent wake for beginning wakeboarding and kneeboarding and at around 30 to 32 mph and 15 off the wake really settles down for slalom skiing.

volfo
08-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Before I bought my boat (2001 Outback LS), I was sure that I would need to add a wakeplate to prevent this porpoising talked about all over this board. Also, just reading about a boat that would be sold new that would porpoise badly made me wonder about buying such a boat.

That was before my test drive. My boat does not porpoise, and I don't have the wakeplate. There is a metal piece bolted on the bottom of the hull near the back, but it is not adjustable and is not the wakeplate option. I think it was standard, from the factory, but as a second owner, I guess I don't know that.

Also, it might be nice to help shape the wake, I don't know, but I view it as far from a necessity on 01-05 ls hull. In fact, I'd guess it's close to a waste, but I haven't seen one with it. Like I said, without it, the wake is okay to jump at 19-22 if you're a novice wakeboarder, and without it the wakeplate settles down very nicely at around 28-30mph up.

Also, my 2001 Outback LS says "AWSA Approved" across the back. I'm sure if you were a serious course competitor the Outback would probably be a better choice - but I like the extra room and storage of the LS and think the wake is still pretty good for skiing. I would assume the new LS (2006 and up) sacrifices the flat wakes just a little more and is even nicer for a family boat as far as room and storage.

cab13367
08-27-2007, 05:18 PM
My boat does not porpoise, and I don't have the wakeplate.
Volfo,

The porpoising issue might be more common to the V-drives than the direct drives. I think the placement of the engine more forward on the boat prevents the direct drives from porpoising. My LSV will sometimes porpoise if no one is sitting in the bow, I am going 25+ or so, and we hit some rollers. I also use the wakeplate to knock the wake down some when pulling a novice wakeboarder.

Hope that helps.

Al