PDA

View Full Version : overheating

dtlaine
08-26-2007, 07:40 PM
I did a search, and naturally most of the issues were with the impeller. I don't belive mine is.

I was cleaning the boat today, and after spraying a lot of water, the
bilbe pump came on. It was on for quite some time, so I decided to
start the motor so the battery wouldn't drain. I was looking at the
temp gauge, and it was reading awfully high. I stopped the motor to
check to see if something was caught in the trans cooler like there
was a couple weeks ago. There wasn't anything in there, so I opened
the impeller cover to make sure everything looked fine in there. The
impeller looked good (replaced 20 hrs ago), and I could verify that water was getting to the impeller. I started removing hose clamps to look inside the hoses on the front of the motor. Nothing looked blocked. I went to the back, and there is a hose that links the two exhaust manifolds. It has a fitting in the middle, so I took that apart. I sprayed water in the starboard side, and the water ran into the manifold, and I could hear it draining. I sprayed water into the port side, and it was clogged. I took the hose off @ the manifold, and it was completely blocked w/mud. I cleared it and sprayed the mud out w/ the garden hose. I reassembled the hoses, tightened the clamps, and started the motor. Again it went past 180. I turned it off and took the hose off the
front of the port side manifold. It was clear. I started the motor
and water came out of the fitting on the front of the manifold. It
seems to me that water is flowing freely, but it's overheating.

Is it possible that the thermostat was damaged when the line was
blocked? That's a simple and cheap fix, so I think I'll give it a
shot. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

dtlaine
08-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Well, I was completely dumbfounded, so I disassembled almost the entire cooling system. I checked to make sure water could flow from one point to the next. Everything checked out, so I reassmbled it, started it, and the needle sticks right @ 160 degrees. I don't know what I knocked loose or what the heck happened, but it seems to be working well.

deerfield
08-28-2007, 07:57 PM
dt - Was glad to read that the temp issue seems to be no more. :D - Deerfield

smokedog2
08-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Fluid level?