PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing the Outback wake for slalom

Laz
08-24-2007, 03:01 PM
I am the proud owner of a brand new 2007 Outback which has been fastastic so far.

When researching boats, most comments suggest that the Outback's slalom wake is just about as good as any. I had a look at the picture of the 2006 Outback wake on waterskimag.com's website and it looks pretty perfect.

However, my wake seems to have a bit of a rooster tail at 15' off going at 31 mph. This is with 2 adults and 2 kids in the boat and the ballast completely empty.

What does your wake look like? Any suggestions for improving my wake? I don't have the wake plate option.

Thanks.

carsondoc
08-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Laz, you can try to change the positioning of the people in the boat, change the number of people in the boat, speed it up or slow it down a little. I have an '03 Outback that I put a wakeplate on and can't really remember what it was like before the plate. My ski partners and I all agree that the wake is about as good as any. A wakeplate will surely eliminate what you're describing.

Laz
08-24-2007, 05:10 PM
I decided not to get the wakeplate as my understanding was that for the Outback, it wouldn't make much difference for slalom.

If it does make a big difference, then I would consider adding it. Can you explain how the wakeplate works.

Thanks.

TimGT3
08-24-2007, 09:29 PM
When I bought my 2006, I was told that the wake plate does absolutely nothing on the Outback. For comparison, look at all of the other tournament boats -- none of them come with wakeplates. Not sure how bad your rooster tail is, but I have not noticed any sizeable wake deformities at 15 off at 28-30mph. That's where I normally ski and with driver only in the boat. Looking through the WaterskiMag reviews, they make mention of the "normal hump at 15-22 off" for almost every tournament boat -- I wonder if that is what you are experiencing.

Laz
08-24-2007, 09:38 PM
That could be it. First, the wake is an order of magnitude better than the wake on my old I/O boat, so I don't have much to complain about.

If I get a chance, I'll try to get a picture this weekend and post it.

Also, as the driver I have noticed that with my old boat you could really feel a skier making hard cuts but with the Outback, I feel almost nothing. As the skier, I find that the very small wake and the extra power of the boat, my acceleration across the wake is much more than I'm used to. I'm gonna have to take my game up to the next level! :D

Sled491
08-24-2007, 11:57 PM
What prop are you running? Before I bent my CNC 3 blade I thought the wake was almost perfect (36mph 15 off), but then I put on a stainless 4 blade and I am noticing a little rooster at slower speeds say between 20 and 30 mph where my wife and son ski. Did you get the 4 blade with your tower option?

carsondoc
08-25-2007, 05:15 PM
The wakeplate just changes the way the boat is planing on the water which, in turn, changes the wake. I'll concede that for the Outback at ski speeds it doesn't have a dramatic overall effect, but I'm sure it would change the wake enough in your situation to eliminate that little rooster-tail you're referring to.

Buttafewcoe
08-25-2007, 07:44 PM
The best set up to reduce wake in yer OB is minimize any weight in the boat, i.e., remove anything not necessary to the set. Speed 32 - 34 mph. Won't totally go away, but it'll get little quick.
Hope this helps
B

zabooda
08-26-2007, 04:22 PM
I have an Outback and I alternate ski pulls with someone with a Prostar 190 and the wakes for both are nice for skiing but the Prostar has a smaller wake and I attibute it to the weight of the boat and the beam (width). The Outback is a larger, wider and heavier boat so it displaces more water and the wake is wider. The difference is my buddy is single and I have a family to fit into my boat. You get three people and three skis in the Prostar you are crowded and stumbling and bumbling. Considering my ski skill level, I consider the Outback adequate for my needs.

On a side note, I was looking up other boat weights and sizes and I came across an interesting picture used on the Malibu website. Can you find all of the mistakes being made in the picture. Who would be a better spotter the little girl or the dog?

http://www.malibuboats.com/default.aspx?pageID=30&modelID=428&modelCategoryID=2

deerfield
08-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Let's see...

- Malibu pointed toward immoval, big object
- obstructed area aft of tow pylon
- no qualified spotter
- dog hair
- rope probably ready to wrap around prop
- leaving someone behind in the water
- summer thunderstorm clouds

But I like the color scheme: red/black/white.

Laz
08-27-2007, 02:05 AM
I went for 3 skiis and 2 wakeboards today.

At 32mph with two people on the boat, the wake was absolutely perfect. I looked just like the picture in the "virtual testdrive" on the waterskimag site. There was no roostertail at all.

I think the previous problem was at a lower speed.

Now I have to get used to how much faster I can cut.

Laz

JoeTechie
08-28-2007, 11:54 PM
This is true with all hulls - faster lifts the hull out of the water more. With tow boats 30+ is the spot where it all happens fast. 28 vs 30 is huge change, 32 gets very nice, and at 34 most are as good as they can get.

Forget the I/O - it is not even a thought in your mind anymore - you are now behind the corret boat for improving your skiing.

Enjoy.

-Joe

barefooterh2o
09-04-2007, 05:26 PM
I have both an 07' Outback and a 05' Malibu Sportster. I've driven many Malibus, Mastercrafts, Gekkos and Moombas for years. We put on a lot of hours each year so we buy a new or low hour boat every year. The newer Malibu and Mastercrafts has the hulls to get rid of the little rooster tail at 22' to 28' off. The 07' Outback I have has a very soft rooster tail that is much better than the 02' Outback I had. It doesn't seem to affect skiing in the slalom course much. At 22' and 28' off the wake feels the same thru the course. It's just a little different feel than the Malibu and Mastercrafts. Barefoot skiing is great behind it. Couple of my friends trick ski and they think the Moomba wake is better than the other DD boats.

Laz
09-04-2007, 09:12 PM
My skiing has improved quite a bit this year. I now notice that if I keep on the edge, I hardly feel the wake on the Outback at 32mph. If I flatten out my ski (worse on my weak side), then I feel a little bump.

I skied behind a 19' natique last week and it has a slightly smaller wake, but it's a smaller boat with the engine and drivers seat quite a bit more forward than the Outback. Of course, a new 20' Nautique retails for $65000 Canadian.

The more I ski behind the Outback, the happier I am with it.

Laz

canuckskier
09-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Laz,

Glad you are enjoying the Outback.

The boat was tested and approved for tournament use, which is faster speeds than the 31mph you are skiing at.

The wakeplate will move the rooster tail around depending on speed/rope length. It is a great investment I find.

I recommend you spped up to 33 or 34 mph. It may be intimidating at first, so take it easy for the first few passes, but you will get used to it, and the wake will improve. In turn, you will have more confidence approaching the wake, and try to accelerate even harder to the next buoy.

My wife skis at 32mph, and 15'-22' off, the wakeplate all the way down seems to be the best for her, but there is a bump.

I ski at 36mph, and into 35' off. That is where the boat excels, as it was designed for tournament skiers. I ski behind Mastercraft, Malibu, and Nautiques as well, and my '06 Outback can compete with them all.

zegm
11-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Laz,

I have a 1975 MasterCraft in great shape and have owned it for 23 years. I have guys in New MasterCrafts wanting me to pull them because we have NO wake. Of course there is nothing in the boat but hull and engine, I don't think it weights 2000lbs. But it is not all about the wake for us, I have a wife and 2 kids and they want to bring their friends and we want to friends. Well it is almost impossible in this old but nice boat. We happened to see an outback last year and an outback V this year and got a chance to sit in these boats. Well now I have the MC up for sale and cannot wait to order a new 2008 Outback V. Having fun on the lake with family and friends means more to us then the slalom wake size. I am sure we will adapt!

usaski1
04-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Im just not happy with my Outback wake... I dont know, It could be me too, Ive never been able to keep the ski on edge through the wake, always flatten out and catch mondo air :-(. I ski slow, like 23-25-27mph, and I can hardly run a pass at the moment. Im frustrated...

deerfield
04-13-2011, 12:11 AM
usaski - Don't give up. You've got a good boat there. For me it's been helpful to shorten the line and raise the speed. 22' off @ 34 is easier than long line @ slower speed. Seems that the shorter the line and faster the speed the flatter the wake. Pull the handle into your hips. Hopefully some of the better skiers on the forum will give you some tips. Sure would like to get a bunch of us Moomba skiers together for some fun. - Deerfield

kaneboats
04-13-2011, 10:30 AM
LOL! Who dug up this thread? Look at zegm's post 3 above here. He had his eye on the OBV and said he didn't care about the slalom wake. My, my, my . . .

kaneboats
04-13-2011, 01:11 PM
I think he didn't know about the LS and once he saw it realized it's the best crossover boat.

moombadaze
04-13-2011, 01:42 PM
we should copy zegm's post and copy it on his facebook page :p

viking
04-13-2011, 02:15 PM
usaski - agree with deerfield. Great boat and great wake if you can dial it in. 33-34 is flat as can be. Think speed is your main issue imo.

deerfield
04-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Hey, viking - I found the Outback Direct Drive Gang social group you created and made myself a member. - Deerfield