PDA

View Full Version : BALLAST and BOAT INSURANCE

Wally
08-21-2007, 01:03 PM
I know you should never exceed your boats listed capacity, but I find myself pushing that a little. Got me thinking, hypothetically, if i was to sink my boat sacked out would insurance cover it? Was curious if anyone has had any experience with sinking boats. I have read my policy, but it doesn't mentioned anything about ballast.

gammapark
08-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Wally,

Now you've gone and done it. The cretins at the insurance companies would have never thought about this one, now you've let the kitty out of the blender. Sure enough it will start to show up on your policy as an exclusion along with your 4% rate increase.

What next, no more keg-er-ators in the boat???? Oops, now I've done it!

Chris

Wally
08-21-2007, 03:43 PM
DAMN, I gues I'll keep quiet about the stripper pole. I'm just worried since I got to load a lot of ballast to surf (im still really new ED) and I can totally see a rogue wave flooding my rig. If not sinking it, just flooding it pretty bad and f-ing up the motor. My plan as of right now is to blame ED for telling me how to set up my boat! Just playin, thanks for the advice ED Im hooked! My wakeboard is getting dust on it. :twisted:

zabooda
08-21-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm not an insurance man and I don't play one on TV but excess ballast may contribute to the boat filling with water but once the bags are submerged with water coming into the boat the only contributing factor would be the weight of the bags themselves. So the question is whether the boat will sink if filled with water if it has freeflowed in and contained in bags. I thought the floatation built into the boat is enough to keep it from sinking with it filled with water. I may be wrong on that (remembering the old Boston Whaler ads). Using ballast denser than water (i.e. concrete) is a different story as the weight would continue its downward force onto the boat and contribute to a sinking.

Wally
08-21-2007, 06:47 PM
I only use water to weigh my boat. I had heard that once your engine is flooded, the boats totaled. I could definately see my boat full of water after a few waves over the bow. I am reffering to an outback and its draft after being loaded with almost 1200lbs of ballast. With the boat sitting so low in the water, waves come over the bow much easier than if not loaded with ballast in a busy lake; even with good driving skillz.

Im not asking if my boat could sink or be flooded (i know this for a fact!)Let me clarify my orginal question, anyone have any experience sinking a boat involving too much ballast? How did the insurance co handle it? :wink:

BensonWdby
08-21-2007, 07:44 PM
This should give you an idea how much water you can put in an inboard without sinking it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BwU192VU8ck

gsi09907
08-21-2007, 08:29 PM
that is the stupidest yet most amazing thing i have ever seen, just how in the world did that work.... they either flooded the boat or ripped the tranny straight out

crazy :twisted: :?:

Wally
08-21-2007, 10:04 PM
That was badass!!! I like how he played it off at the end. :lol:

qb12
08-22-2007, 09:32 AM
LOL

Hey qb12, some of us don't think your a "cretin" :)

Wally, we have an insurance agent on this board who upgraded his Moomba for a Supra.

He is also a wakesurfer who uses ballast.

He'll pipe in soon.

e

gee, thanks ed.

now i have been in the "bad" "horrible" "mean" insurance business both as a adjuster and agent for over 15 years.

each company is different in regards to what they consider perils of coverage. however in reviewing my company along with ski safe and progressive i do not see where this would be a exclusion. coverages are based if the peril "loss" is excluded.

in saying so the only way i see that the coverage would be denied would be if it was a intentional act, ie: trying to sink the boat for insurance payment (behind on the boat payments or just wanting a newer LSV :shock:

hope this helps.

db

Wally
08-23-2007, 01:51 PM
thanks! People in the insurance biz are people too!

Sled491
08-23-2007, 11:04 PM
If I could just get my agent to quit mixing up the serial #'s on my boat, trailer and motor Ha Ha.

That video is just WILD! DId he hit something or did he throw it into reverse at 45 and turn into it. You can see the drivers arms get jerked up just before it goes in. All things considered if his auto bilge came right on and considering it leveled out right away he probably had little if any water damage :shock: