PDA

View Full Version : Orange Flag -mounting tip for-Wakeboarding/Skiing/Swimming

Bulldgz
08-14-2007, 03:56 AM
For all the Moomba owners in the states the orange flag is required, here's my solution to solving shoulder pains from holding the flag while boarding. I am unsure if it is absolutely legal to leave it up while in motion, but I have not been harrassed as of yet while in eye sight of authorities. I'll ask patrol at the next marina and fill ya in.

Anyways..................

I'm sure there are other systems out there, but for about $20 you can make a permanent mounting bracket. I found a flag manufacturer online and ordered a 2 foot pole orange flag set up and a mounting stud. I went to a local fastener supply store to purchase a longer bolt for .80cents. I drilled thru the tower near the light and threaded the receiver stud using a little locktite.

Now whenever we are boarding or just swimming we just screw the flag into place. Its plenty visible for all to see (A rubber "O" RING on the flag stem will prevent the vibration loosening the flag.)

I hope this info helps in some small way. :)

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l174/Bulldgz/Moomba%20Boat%20Pics/flag.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l174/Bulldgz/Moomba%20Boat%20Pics/flag3.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l174/Bulldgz/Moomba%20Boat%20Pics/flag2.jpg

Here is the link: http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm
Flag Model F2-$11.99 (2 footer)
Stud Model ST4- $3.99 (stud)
+ Shipping.

BlunderDownUnder
08-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Looks real nice... great idea.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think in most states, NJ and PA for sure, the ski flag is only supposed to be up when you are towing a skiier. People get harassed all the time by us for leaving their flags up after they're done skiing. And it is a ticketable offense.

...Maybe add in a sort of set screw/bolt with a big head on it that can be easily turned by hand. Sort of like a wing nut. This way you could simply loosen the screw and pull out the flag when you're done, and then easily slip it in and tighten the screw when you need it again.

:D

MasterMind3002
08-14-2007, 09:15 AM
Interesting...................this is the first time I've ever heard of the orange flag law. Apparently we don't have that law in Indiana. Its actually a good idea............not that the kids on waverunners will pay any attention to it anyway :lol:

zabooda
08-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Nada in Washington State. It's called the skiier down flag and used for that purpose. That's probably a warning from the sheriff and from other boaters too if they saw that device. You need to design the skiing buddy. An inflatable spotter with a spring loaded arm to raise the flag.

http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/handbook/flags.htm

Skier Down Flag
Washington law requires that vessels towing person(s) on water skis or similar devices carry and use a “skier down” flag whenever the towed person(s) is preparing to ski or has fallen into the water.

Bulldgz
08-14-2007, 12:22 PM
We do take the flag down when we are not actually boarding. Its a matter of of just unscrewing it and stowing it. Occassionally if the cove we are swimming in becomes cluttered we'll stick the flag back in.

The flag meets all the requirements of the actual "skier down" flags. I ended up thinking of this because one day we were boardin and my spotter was holding the flag up and trying to tend to the rope so the slack wouldn't go under the boat. So he dropped the flag down to his waist and sure enough; patrol came over and informed us that the flag must be extended high and visible whenever the boarder was in the water. He was pretty cool and didn't write any ticket but it got me thinkin'

Hope this helps out :D

zabooda
08-14-2007, 01:33 PM
For the purpose you just stated it would work great. I have the same issues where I need to wedge the flag somewhere while tending to the activity in the water and I've put the flag up when swimming from the boat also to alert other boaters. It's when the boat is in motion that the flag comes down or spring mount the flag with a clip on the tower to lower it. Good design.

BensonWdby
08-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Not a law in MN or WI yet. We just don't ski when it is busy..

The flag won't help with the morons that follow your bubbles while pulling a skier/boarder.

Bulldgz
08-14-2007, 10:07 PM
BensonWdby

You are absolutely right about the "BUBBLE IDIOTS" that drives me insane :x

04OUTBACK
08-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Wish Mississippi had a Flag Law... for obvious reasons.. Previous owner of my boat built a holder on tower. I use some when real busy, although I am sure many don't understand in Miss. GREAT NEWS..... Back to school means less boats on the water around us!

BW

csumerall
08-14-2007, 11:16 PM
I have an orange flag that has a suction cup built into the bottom of it and it will suction to the tower when i want it to Ive also seen in wakeboarding magazine there is a springloaded flag that hooks up to the tow rope and when there is a sudden slack in the rope the flag releases and pops up, not sure what its called but if anyones interested ill try to find it

gdubb
08-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Not a law in PA yet!!