PDA

View Full Version : Throttle cable problems with top speed?

pcm2a
08-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Hey all. Took the '02 Outback out Saturday and all was fine. Took it out Sunday and my top speed was only 15mph. Drove around most of the day at a slow 15mph and the engine temp was fine, oil pressure fine, oil looks fine. As best I remember the rpms were fine too, being the normal 1500 or a bit more for going 15mph. I had people with me so I didnt want to tinker with it.

What sorts of things should I check when I take it out near the dock today to troubleshoot the situation? I assume watch the throttle cable linkage at 15mph to see if its hung on something or what its doing. I could also manually move the linkage to see if I can get up to normal 30mph speeds.

Are there any good guilds for adjusting the cable?

Buttafewcoe
08-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Just check your linkage for full travel and go from there. Have someone move the throttle level while you watch.
If you have perfect pass, might need reset or something. I don't have it (wish I did) so maybe someone else here can chime in.
Hope this helps
B

cab13367
08-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Check this post:

https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=4716

MasterMind3002
08-13-2007, 09:34 PM
If you have Easy Cruise this can happen too. My 07 Moomba came with Easy Cruise. If you have the easy cruise set and then try to throttle up the boat will stop at the set speed and go no faster.

I've had mine do that to me a couple of times when we've switched from wake boarder to slalom sking. It sucks when you floor it with a skier and the boat launches and then drops off at 15MPH. :D

Good Luck

pcm2a
08-14-2007, 09:04 AM
I don't have PP or any other fancy features on my Outback. I unhooked the throttle cable and manually moved the peice to speed the boat up, still 15mph. I was also getting some bad idling and when you turn the boat off it would go kerplunk kerplunk kind of like your old lawn mower does when you turn it off but it tries to run a bit.

Dropped it off at the moomba dealer last night and will let them troubleshoot it for me since it's not the throttle cable.

JesseC
08-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Sounds like a stopped up fuel filter. Hope the repair is an inexpensive one. Please post what they find.

pcm2a
08-14-2007, 12:17 PM
I didn't think to check the fuel filter. I changed my fuel filter out about 2 weeks ago with a new one from Napa. The old one had various colors of liquid that poured from it with water at the bottom, but no debris.

I might stop back over there today or tomorrow and take the filter off just to make sure its still clean. They wont be able to look at the boat till end of the week or beginning of next week.

My fuel pump is kind of noisy but always seems to work fine (until Sunday of course). If I just had a fuel pump problem it could cause the symptoms im experiencing? I think the moombas have a split unit with one pump in hte gas tank and one on the engine.

JesseC
08-14-2007, 12:25 PM
I had a problem similar to this in an older truck we have. The truck would not run over 30 MPH! We changed the fuel filter and got the same results!!! So as a final test, we removed the fuel filter (I am not suggesting this part, just necessary for explanation) and the vehicle ran perfectly! It turned out to be bad gas. There was crude oil in the gas and it would immediatly slow the fuel going through the fuel filter and that caused the slow speeds. Did your boat run decent when you first put on the new fuel filter?

Buttafewcoe
08-14-2007, 12:30 PM
I know it sounds weird, but I had an anti-siphon valve stick on me. Wouldn't let gas pass (gas pass...hehe, i kill me) at all. Maybe your's is restricting flow?
>
just trying to help
B

pcm2a
08-14-2007, 01:08 PM
The fuel filter has been on for about 7 hours of engine run time (running good for for those 7 hours) and various trips to the gas station to put 5 gallons in it.

Wouldn't hurt to pull it off of there and see if it's full of dead rabbits or something.