PDA

View Full Version : Quick Connelly Help!

TimGT3
08-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Not sure what the likelyhood of a rapid response is but I have come across a deal on a Connelly Carbon Course 67" ski. Anyone own one or have experience with it? Dual Vision bindings (appear to be in great shape).
Originally a $600-$700 ski????
I have the opportunity to pick it up for $250 this evening. Only used about 8-10 times.

Feedback??

67" ski .... I'm 5'8" 150lbs. I'm thinking that's a good fit

freyse
08-10-2007, 07:11 PM
:D I have a Connelly Coarse ski with double wrap boots 67" I am a little heavier more like 185-190 and 5'8" but man do I love the ride I get .Price sounds to good ,I would jump on it!

TimGT3
08-10-2007, 09:45 PM
I just read your reply after having come home with the ski. It is gorgeous! It's practically brand new. I had him toss in the neoprene vest and gloves that were also for sale and walked out having spent $260 for everything. :D

Thanks for your feedback, it made me feel pretty good afterwards.

I'll give the ski a test run this weekend.

BensonWdby
08-13-2007, 07:43 PM
My guess is that you had a great run with this ski. If not. keep after it. I have never skied a Connelly Course, but if it is like the Concept, it's a winner. Keep in mind that these skis are seensitive to lots of things, like Binding position, as well as fin and wing placement.

Check out http://www.schnitzskis.com and look at the tuning tips available from the main menu at the top of the page.

Dave

TimGT3
09-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the link Dave.

I was just doing some additional research on this ski -- Connelly has a very nice archive of old ski brochures on their site. I knew the Carbon Course was a Tournament level ski -- I did NOT know that it was their #1 top of the line best ski ever made to that point tournament ski! After reading all of that, it kind of scared me. But man do I love this ski. I thought that I would have to progress a hell of a lot further before I was able to get on a ski like this. But I was definitely capable and ready for it. Now it gives me something new to work toward -- I have a long way to go before I reach the real potential of this stick!

Hitting the lake every day this upcoming week -- com'on early morning sets!

BensonWdby
09-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Tim

Just curious - what speed/length are you running at? Are your skiing open water or course?

If you have not tried shortening the rope, I highly recommend it. Biggewst mistake I made was waiting 20 years to seriously try faster and shorter. These skis thrive in that environment.

TimGT3
09-06-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm at 15 off @ 30 mph

Just tried 32 mph and it did nothing for the wake shape, so dropped it back to 30.

Went 22 off, but that created a huge hump in the center of the wake that launched me off the ski (that was two days ago and I'm still feeling it)

This is all open water skiing. Right now, my #1 problem/area to work on is that I'm letting up and flattening the ski across the wake. I cannot figure out how to balance throught the wake while still pulling hard on edge. Feels too uncomfortable and too fast -- although I know it's a mental problem because going OVER and going THROUGH the wake are two totally seperate things, right?

Two more days left of this!

Laz
09-06-2007, 10:23 AM
I have the same problem. On my good side and cut right through the wake and hardly feel it. On my bad side I often let my rear drop and flatten out the ski and then I feel the wake.

I recently skied behind a Nautique and had the same problem.

I'm slowly improving my weak side cuts to cut through the tiny wake my Outback leaves at 32mph and 15' off.

Keep at it.

BensonWdby
09-06-2007, 06:32 PM
You're not skiing with ballast in the boat are you?

You definitely want to get control of your edge before you start going too fast or start taking line off. And you do need to be comfortable and having fun.

I hate 22 off. The bump is pretty annoying. I stayed at 15 off for way too long, spent very little time at 22 off and went right to 28 off. But before you do that getting up to speed is probably a good idea. I suggest sticking with 32mph if possible and moving up to 34 soon after. Depending on your age and whether you intend to compete you may never want to go to 36mph. I never really did. My son on the other hand is only 22 and not really a serious slalom skier has found that 32 off at 32 mph to be great fun.

Weak side turns have always plagued me as well, but I am improving.

The two things that turned my skiing around a couple of year ago are:
1. 'Correct' grip. This is debatable by many, but I swear by it. If you are right foot forward, use a left handed baseball grip, i.e., left palm up. For left footers use right handed grip. The benefit I found is improved body position across the back of the boat.

2. Long arms after the turn. I used to ski 15off@30 all the time for about 25 years. While at McGinnis ski school in Fla, Ann told me that I was pulling too long. Did not know what she meant. Turns out I was holding my pull - bent arms - from the post turn all the way to the next pre-turn. After watching and listening to the pros I realized that the bent arm position is only really used for a very short burst and then you need to extend your arms down to your waist (well in that general direction). This gives you a very strong position over your ski so you can hold your edge across the wake. Even if you do get a little flat at the wake the body position created by 1. above plus the long arms seems to help manage your weight better so you don't get tossed at the wake.

Most important is to have fun. And once in a while, before you get too tired and when the water is flat, try your next challenge - faster, shorter, whatever.

Enjoy the rest of the season.
Dave