PDA

View Full Version : Water Strainer Installation - 99 Outback LS

BENTLEYBOY
08-10-2007, 01:36 AM
Reading the posts on the subject I became convinced that I need to add a water strainer to my boat. Just bought it with 290 hours on her. I checked the inlet to the cooler an pulled a bunch of crud out of it, blew out more with air from the other side.

OUESTION: where and how is the best place to install it? Got one sent to me from Discount Marine. They sent straight barbs with it. I have read that some of you have 90's on them. Should I tie it off to something? I would like to do this right the first time and need advice. Thanks.

JesseC
08-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Which model boat do you have. It is different for each model.
I have an 02 LSV and I could not get the strainer in this location. I suspended it on straight barbs between the V-Drive and the trans cooler. I figured the opening in the v-Drive was large enough to pass "crud" to the strainer. The strainer just hangs in between the two to catch debris before the trans cooler with the bowl up for easy inspection and cleaning. I will get some pice this weekend of how mine was installed.

Here are some pics from a stock mounted strainer on a new LSV from Brian Raymond.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/waterstrainer_0638.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/waterstrainer_0641.jpg

BENTLEYBOY
08-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Mine's a direct drive boat. I was thinking of putting it, free hanging, about 9-12" before the trans cooler. I am wondering about the orientation of the bowl. Will it work if it is up as oposed to down?

JesseC
08-10-2007, 03:06 PM
First off, sorry for not reading the subject line. LS model.

I am not sure if it matters if it is up or down. Down would probably be preferred, but I did not have the room. Free hanging would be fine. You will understand this statement when you go to cut the water hose!! You need a hacksaw and some heavy duty cutters. The hose will not sag in the least bit with the strainer inline. That is one tough hose!!!

BENTLEYBOY
08-15-2007, 12:20 AM
The one I purchased looks like the photo. What I am faced with now is fitting it in the compartment. Any ideas? There is not much room down there. Has anyone got a photo of such an installation?

OldeBoy
08-21-2007, 11:02 PM
where did you purchase the strainer?

BENTLEYBOY
08-22-2007, 12:05 AM
I got it from Discount Marne.