PDA

View Full Version : Replacing rear ballast evac pump

CraigB
08-09-2007, 12:12 PM
What's the trick for accessing the rear evac pump? Has anyone replaced theirs?

Thanks,

C

JesseC
08-09-2007, 02:16 PM
What year and model boat do you have?

CraigB
08-09-2007, 10:01 PM
It's a 2004 XLV (Gravity Games Edition).

CraigB
08-20-2007, 03:58 PM
It looks like you might have to remove the rear cover plate and exhaust manifold. How difficult is it to remove the exhaust manifold?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The shop wants to charge a bunch for a simple job. I'm guessing it just takes some time tearing things apart and putting them back together.

Thanks,

C

JesseC
08-20-2007, 04:54 PM
I would try everything I could to not have to remove an exhaust manifold!! I know that mine are really dug in, but I have changed all three of mine. The port side and front ones are easy, but the starboard one is a pain. In my LSV, the trans cooler and manifold are in the way. I am not sure about an XLV. If you are running the same pumps as mine, the top of the bracket has a hose that you can take off, then unscrew the "cap" and the pump will fall into the bottom of the boat. Retrieve the pump, cut the wires. Solder in the new one and reverse the first few steps.

CraigB
08-20-2007, 04:59 PM
You're right it's really tight. I appreciate the response and info on the manifold, looks to be difficult to remove. I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

C

JesseC
08-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Here is a photo of what the ones I am fimiliar with look like. I replaced them with the ones that you can just take the "pump" loose with some snaps and leave the housing in place. Leave enough wire that you can do this again in the future. Trust me you will be doing this again. It's just the way it is. In the photo, I have taken the hose off of the trans cooler (the large water hose, not the trans line) and moved it out of the way. Then I removed the hose and unscrewed the "cap" where the red arrow is and fished the pump out by following the electrical wires at the stern of the boat. Hope this helps.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/ballast012-1.jpg

CraigB
08-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Yes, very helpful, just not easy to reach this particular pump as it is directly behind the exhaust manifold. There is a cover plate protecting the blower intake that can be removed that might give me access from above. So, I will try that first.

Thanks for the info.

Craig

Rugburn
08-24-2007, 07:45 PM
I wonder why the factory doesnt put all three pumps on one board, kind of like you see on the make-a-wake.com website. That way you can access them easily and upgrade if necessary.