PDA

View Full Version : Gas bubbling out of the tank

BlunderDownUnder
08-08-2007, 10:30 AM
On vacation in the outerbanks, NC. Filled the boat up yesterday, trailered it for an hour, put it in the water, ran it for about an hour, then trailered it back for an hour. Unhooked the trailer from the car and left it in the drive way. All was well. Went to the beach the next day for several hours with the boat in the driveway. Came back to grab some lunch and i smelled gas, and noticed stains from a liquid running down the side of the boat. Upon closer inspection, the gas was coming up out of the gas tank fill, seeping out from the cap, and dripping down along the rub rail and the hull of the boat. I opened the cap and the gas was all the way up to the top of the gas tank fill. I lowered the trailer as much as I could and the gas settled back in, but I don't know why it happened. I've never seen that before on any of my boats. My only thoughts were: extreme heat (100*), and a ROUGH hour in the bay the day before.

Anyone have any input?

04OUTBACK
08-08-2007, 01:28 PM
I had this problem once this spring... NOT 100 deg. I had been having trouble filling mine. Determined I had a kink in my Fuel Filler hose from gas cap to tank. I also determined that i was parked on a little of an incline toward the filler neck. There is a vent hose that comes from the tank to the filler neck. make sure it is not clogged, as that could have an effect... When I repleaced the filler hose, I disconnected the vent hose and blew it out to make sure it was clear...

Only time it has happenend to me though....

cptmoomba
08-08-2007, 03:20 PM
One other consideration with outback fuel tank placement...

After you fueled up, did you put any extra weight in the rear storage locker before you started your trip? This can canstrict your fuel capacity considerably.