PDA

View Full Version : Information on 2001 Outback LS

volfo
08-07-2007, 01:34 PM
All,

I'm a big fan of the boats and the site but haven't yet bought a boat. I'd love to buy new, but the prices and the amount of time I have to spend on the lake don't warrant it.

Right now, I am looking at an '01 Outback LS. From researching the site, it appears to me this was a new hull for '01 that lasted through '05, for both Outback and Mobius LS? It may also have been the LSV hull for a couple of years? I also noticed that in 2004, the weight of the boat went up about 300 pounds, but length, beam, etc. stayed the same.

I want a family boat that can ski well and my young kids could learn to ski and wakeboard behind. I understand a tower can be added without too much trouble for $1 to $2k?

I grew up skiing behind a 19 foot searay primarily and occasionally an old Supra ts6m. Still have use of boats, but none that ski worth a darn. I'm not very good, but still enjoy to ski occasionally and want a boat the kids can have fun with, but that we could also have another couple out on the water on for the day and have fun swimming, floating, relaxing. Do you recommend this boat? Also, any things to look for in particular when I inspect the boat. It has the 320 hp efi engine, but not many other options.

Thanks for your thoughts as I am looking to learn.

BLKOUTLS
08-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Does it have a Hydraulic Wake plate? If it doesnt that would be a much better first investment than a tower . It is able to really tailor the wake for both skiing and boarding on this hull not to mention eliminate porposing.
The windshield frame tends to loosen up but with routine checks should be fine. The engine cover seat is nice for kids to sit on. The efi is great.
I would look at the engine and see how it was taken care of. The bilge area see how clean and whether the previous owner let water sit in it.
The front ski locker as well. It does hold 2-3 slalom skis in it with out bending the bindings up. The weight change when I asked about it was credited to changeing how they weighed it with battery and gas and fluids
instead of a dry weight. Storage is also good with the back ski locker,under rear seat and the front seats as well. My 02 has almost 375 hrs on it and each time I use it I am still happy with my decision.

Chris

volfo
08-07-2007, 04:45 PM
No hydraulic wakeplate, no perfectpass, no tower, no ballasts.

I am going to go look at this boat, so any other information/pointers/things to look for will be appreciated.

Buttafewcoe
08-07-2007, 06:44 PM
I hear the LS is notorious for porposing. The Outback, for the price, is a great all around ski boat. And you can wakeboard with a little ballast or a few of your boating buddies
Hope this helps
B

vfrdude
08-08-2007, 07:02 PM
I purchased a 2001 OUtback LS back in 2005. It had about 150 hrs on it, and the previous owner took great care of it. Anyway, as far as porpoising (sp.?), my boat goes full out without a hint of it.

It came with a tower, 4 blade SS prop, stock rear ballast, it does have a plate on the transom, but it's not adjustable. It does very well for beginner to intermediate wakeboarding, and the wake for skiing is pretty good. Not as good as the TS6M, but it's decent at 15 off, at about 30-32 mph.

I think you would be very happy with this boat. Here's a pic:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1314/1054255467_1ce38a17e7_o.jpg