PDA

View Full Version : Need help with amplifier/subwoofer problem

cj11302000
08-06-2007, 07:17 PM
I have a 2005 Outback with a Kenwood Marine Sirius CD deck outfitted with the 6 stock speakers, two Samson Sports tower speakers, a Clarion 10" subwoofer, and a Power Acoustik 600 watt 4 channel amplifier. Things have been working great until recently. For no apparent reason at all...the sub quits working. The rest of the speakers are still playing and the status light on the amp doesn't indicate an overheating condition. Then for no other reason, the sub starts working again. Sometimes, it even appears the sub is only getting partial power. I've heard that it's possible the channel on the amp for the sub is going out?

Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, or ways to troubleshoot this problem? I have no problem replacing the amp if it is indeed failing...but I would like to know for sure. Could it be the sub?

Also, it doesn't appear to be loose connections, becuase I've checked them all. Also, this problem occurs when just floating and when I'm underway.

Thanks!

gdubb
08-06-2007, 09:52 PM
I have an 07 outback and have been having the same problems with my sub cutting out and then comming back on. I am open to suggestions on what needs done.

GW

Buttafewcoe
08-07-2007, 06:48 AM
Turn the gain down on the amp for the sub, if it has a gain.
B

cj11302000
08-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Buttafewcoe,

Thanks...I'll try that. Would that explain why it goes in and out for no reason though? It's not conistent...sometimes it works just fine and other times it doesn't. The status light also stays on...would it show a problem with the gain or...? Thanks again!

calpal10
08-07-2007, 02:13 PM
I am in a similar situation with my 03 mobius but all my speakers started crackling. After troubleshooting with different amps and decks, i came to the realization that both my deck and amp are going out on me. The RCA's coming out of the deck are not making a good connection and causing some terrible sound quality. Not sure what the deal is with my amp but when i hooked up a new deck to my old amp I still had some issues. My guess in your situation is that possibly some of your RCA ins or outs are bad.

Buttafewcoe
08-07-2007, 06:54 PM
It may be going out, but it prolly won't take much down on the gain to get it stable so it stays on if it's in good working order. Pushing that sub is a lot of power draw.
After 'over amping' mine a few times, I got the gains set where I can rock pretty loud for a very long time. Only recently have I had to turn it down a little more. (100 degree weather in NC this week). But turning down a little has worked for mine.
Hope this helps
B

ATLOUTBACKV
08-07-2007, 08:03 PM
here is your problem.....

a Power Acoustik 600 watt 4 channel amplifier

cj11302000
08-07-2007, 08:34 PM
ATLOUTBACKV...I know...I got stuck with that amp when I had the install done at the dealer...I didn't know better then. I'm planning on upgrading the amp and in-boat speakers next season...but don't have the time or lettuce right now to get it done. I'm just trying to get a few more weeks of mileage out of that amp.

NateDog
08-07-2007, 10:48 PM
turn the bass on the deck down, let your sub give you bass, not your speakers. that is the reason your speakers are crackling and not sounding clear, and why your sub is cutting in and out

Buttafewcoe
08-08-2007, 04:50 AM
Nate's right, If you have high pass / low pass filters, check those settings also.
B