PDA

View Full Version : over heating mobius xlv, help please

martyslc
08-04-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm at lake powell 8 hours from home and my boat is over heating. I have changed out impellers, replaced thermostats and even taken the thermostat out and still it's over heating. will run fine for a bit then boom the gauge starts to climb fast. I can tell when it's not getting water because the exhaust sounds different like the water just stopped flowing.

I pulled the thermostat hose off the engine block and started the motor and theres allot of water flowing so I'm sure that water is getting thru impeller to the block.

The only other thing I can think of because I don't know the exhaust system is the water pump on the motor itself is bad.

If you think it's the circulating water pump does anyone know a part number that will work at checker? Thats all the have here in town that I know of.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!!

-Marty

bobwells
08-05-2007, 07:31 AM
call skidim.com they have a super helping staff. normally when circ. pump starts going south it will begin to have a leak out of the "tell-tell" hole on front of pump, and or begin to make a squealing noise, you have pretty much done all the things I can think of unless there is an obstruction some where in the line of flow... your belts tight ? and not super slipping(altho not likely the case) keep us posted, I pray that the Lord shows favor on you so as not to have a bumbed trip... bob

martyslc
08-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Tomorrow is monday so i will give them a call. while in town i will see if I can get a cir. pump from checker as a back up.

belt is tight.
good flow to the motor but I don't know what it's going from there.

really wierd

Thanks Bob

-Marty

MOBIU5
08-07-2007, 01:54 PM
my 05 lsv is doing the same thing. checked and replaced impeller and water strainer. having the same problems. please post how you ended up fixing this issue. thanks.

BLKOUTLS
08-07-2007, 02:17 PM
did you check your water line right as i comes into the boat and connects to the trans cooler. If you have debris right before the trans cooler screen it can work like a toliet flapper normal levels of water can go through but as you increase speed or demand it floats up and blocks the screen and even a partial blockage can cause the temp to rise and when you slow down or such it floats free again. Try backflushing from the ouput side of the cooler with a hose and put a bucket under you water intake you might be surprised what floats out. good luck

Chris

martyslc
08-08-2007, 11:45 AM
The trans cooler has a screen in it? I can see it, where do I look for that?

-Marty

Buttafewcoe
08-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Coming from the impellor pump housing, the trans cooler should be the next device in line on the hose exiting the impellor pump housing. The trans cooler has a radiator device (heat exchanger) inside of it that will restrict water flow if there is debris blocking the fins/vanes. DO not disassemle or remove the trans cooler as it is not necessary. Take the water hose, not any of the transmission oil lines, off the intake side of the trans cooler and inspect inside. If you are having that big o prob with overheating, there should be an obvious amount of debris visible.
If all is well upon inspection, then that is not the problem
Hope this helps
B

JesseC
08-08-2007, 02:51 PM
My trans cooler had a piece of cardboard lodged in it that restriceted half of the water flow. I now have a strainer installed on the boat. The trans cooler has a lot of "veins" in it that are about the size of a number 2 pencil. I agree with Butta, disconnect the hose and use a flashlight to check for debris, or just back flush it and pay attention to what comes out and of course, please post your findings!!! Good luck.

zabooda
08-08-2007, 04:25 PM
When you back flush not everything may come out as you have a grate on the intake that may stop the debris but it should be where you see the junk just inside the intake.

martyslc
08-08-2007, 09:44 PM
I took off the hose going to the trans cooler and stuck my finger in there and felt around and couldnt feel anything. I'm down at lake powell so I cant back flush it till I get home.

It seems to be running better now that I put in a new impeller. The old one looks good so I don't have a clue.

Thanks for your help.

-Marty