PDA

View Full Version : Boat Died 3x

dtlaine
08-01-2007, 09:39 PM
I have put about 70 hrs on my 2000 Outback LS with the 310 carb motor. Last Thurs, we were wakeboarding for about an hour and a half, and I turned the boat off while someone was geting into their bindings. They went in the water, I idled away, hit the throttle, they got up, and after about 30 seconds, the boat died. It would not start. I checked, and there was no gas going to the carb. I figured it was the fuel pump because there was voltage at the wires going to the pump when the key was in the start position. I replaced the pump, primed it, and it worked just fine Sat and Sun AM. Sun PM, we went to the lake, and after a while, it started to rain. We took off to go back home, and the boat started, went for about 30 seconds, and then it died again. No fuel to the carb. A friend towed us home and when I primed the fuel pump (by filling the fuel line between the fuel/water separater and pump manually), it started up and ran no problem. Same thing happened later in the afternoon. It was July in Florida, so it was hot, but it wasn't hotter than it's been the last 60 days when it has run just fine.

Does this sound like vapor lock? Is it likely that there is some water in the fuel line that's evaporating and causing this? Once it's running, it runs great. It just has trouble starting after it's been hot. I'm going to replace the fuel filter and separater. I put a bottle of HEET in the fuel tank. Does anybody else have any other suggestions? Sorry it's so long winded, but I wanted to describe it as best I could.

Thanks in advance----

BLKOUTLS
08-02-2007, 02:05 PM
dt
it sounds like vapor lock but also may be the oil pressure sensor. You said you had a fuel water seperater I seem to remember that was not a
good idea to have these on the carb motors as this can increse the likely
hood of vapor lock. The oil pressure sending unit sits on the back of the motor and gets 12volts at start from the key and primes the pump then in the run position it agains sends 12 volts to the pump as long as there is oil pressure. If it does not sense oil pressure it shuts down the 12 volts or if it is flakey it can mimick vapor lock. worth a look and there about 15.00 bucks. Hope it helps

Chris

dtlaine
08-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the tip. Where can I buy the oil pressure sensor? Is that an Indmar specific part, or can I get one at an auto parts store?

BLKOUTLS
08-03-2007, 07:59 AM
not an indmar specific part. They are available at parts stores at leat the one i needed look to see how many wires are on it usually 3 and what type of motor. they can look it up from there

Chris