PDA

View Full Version : backroll ......ouch

ATLOUTBACKV
08-01-2007, 03:29 PM
so i have been working on a backroll... yeah well i get 7/8th of the way there and whammy the board goes nose first into the wake... i cant seem to get the full rotation..the last one i did i ripped my foot from the binding. which seems impossible.. so i am nursing a bruised ass ankle the is swollen as hell... any pointers on ensuring th full rotation...

JesseC
08-01-2007, 05:26 PM
I have just now gotten where I can land them almost every time. Could you possibly post a video of one of your attempts? A common mistake is to let the handle out during the rotation. By doing this it almost stops your rotation and hello face plant! Keep the handle in close to your waist.
Also, shorten your rope so you land just outside the wake, this is much easier when learning them for the first time.

Here is one of the first ones I did. I will try to get some video this weekend of the most recent ones. Videos really help.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=13913736

ATLOUTBACKV
08-01-2007, 07:46 PM
i held it close till i was 1/2 through it and let out ...damn it..... coo....l well after my ankle heals i will try it... thanks... i will get a video camera and post videos after i try it again... thanks for the input!

deeluk
08-02-2007, 10:35 PM
I haven't landed one yet either, but I've landed on my feet quite
a few times now. I used to not complete the rotation too. What
really helped me was waiting to initiate the backroll. Ensure you
get the full pop off the wake. Maximize the line tension by using
a really progressive edge. As you're leaving the wake, inch the
board ever so slightly away from the boat. After you feel the pop,
put your back ear to your back shoulder and look around for your
landing.

My problem these days is I can't seem to avoid rolling to revert.
I also have to really force myself to keep my eyes open and look
for the landing.

JesseC
08-02-2007, 11:00 PM
After you feel the pop,
put your back ear to your back shoulder and look around for your
landing.

Are you sure about this?? I always put my chin to my lead shoulder so when I come around from the backroll, I can spot the wake half way through the rotation. If I put my ear on my back shoulder I wouldn't see the wake until after I have landed???????

In this video from wakeworld instructionals, Mike McLin has his chin on his lead shoulder in order to spot the wake early.

http://www.wakeworld.com/TrickList/TrickTip004a.asp

deeluk
08-03-2007, 03:21 AM
Are you sure about this?? I always put my chin to my lead shoulder so when I come around from the backroll, I can spot the wake half way through the rotation. If I put my ear on my back shoulder I wouldn't see the wake until after I have landed???????

I guess that's more the feeling at the start. I agree, towards the end of the trick, you will be looking more down and your chin will be close to your lead shoulder. To me, it feels like you initiate the backroll by looking up and over your lead shoulder. With your back ear to your back shoulder. This way, when you're upside down, you're looking right at your landing. Once you spot the landing (assuming your eyes are open), sure, you continue to look towards the water as you finish the rotation.

When I don't come all the way around, I usually find that I've started the trick too early. Either I start the "look over your shoulder" thing or I start edging away from the boat before popping. You really want to get the most height you can to give you time to come all the way around.

I'm pretty sure that's how they describe the motion in "The Book" too, if you've seen that. If you're looking directly over your front shoulder while you're upside down, wouldn't you be looking back at the wake you just left? You have to look sort of up and behind your front shoulder to spot the landing when upside down. No?

JesseC
08-03-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that's how they describe the motion in "The Book" too, if you've seen that. If you're looking directly over your front shoulder while you're upside down, wouldn't you be looking back at the wake you just left? You have to look sort of up and behind your front shoulder to spot the landing when upside down. No?

Well, it jsut so happens that I am such a dedicated employee, I keep a copy of "The Book" here at work to help fill those...I don't feel like doing my job moments.

I brought up the section on the Heelside back roll and here is what they said:

Push your hips one way and your shoulders in the opposite direction and that is going to give you the flipping rotation. Turn your head over your front shoulder to start the backroll rotation and what this does is makes your head the lead part of the rotation so that you can spot your landing."

He then cuts to the example and freezes a shot of a rider in mid rotation staring down at the "landing" wake.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/cap002.jpg

deeluk
08-03-2007, 04:24 PM
I think we're in violent agreement here. Earlier in the rotation, you're looking more up. And it's that look up that initiates the rotation. I really love how they have the 4 audio tracks on "The Book" allowing you to get 4 different viewpoints on each trick.

For my problem (always rolling to revert), apparently I'm supposed to push the handle out towards the flats on the way down. I have yet to make this happen...

JesseC
08-03-2007, 04:39 PM
I agree! I am sitting here in my cube going through the motions and for a split second my other ear is on the other shoulder....you were right!!! It then goes to the other one just by turning to look for the wake...I bet my coworkers think I am weird for doing backrolls in my cube!!!

In the beginning, I had the revert problem. There is nothing like closing your eyes early in a backroll only to open them just in time for a revert to faceplant!!! Ouch!!! :shock:

I have finally gotten them under control and have been trying to see how much I can stall the rotation. To me it makes the trick look cleaner.....it also makes it look realy easy. A frined of mine watched one of my stalled backrolls and said that looks easy. So he decided to try it, well after on roll to revert to faceplant, he agreed that it is much more difficult than it looked!!!

Well this weekend I wil lbe working on Tantrums, I just can not get these right. I always end up sailing across the wake horizontal with my back to the water....I am still sore from last weekend. Oh well thats wakeboarding!!!

deeluk
08-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Ha, that's hilarious. Backrolls in your cube. You need to set up a rope and a little tramp. That would be classic!

Re: tantrums, I have the same exact problem. I keep watching the vid and then trying to hit the water. But I never get the trip thing. The funny thing is, the very first season I started, I was able to get 3/4 tantrums at the end of the season. Ever since, I always just go sailing backwards to buttplant. Luckily, these crashes don't hurt too bad. I think it's a commitment thing. I also don't think I stand up tall enough or at the right time on the tantrum. I'm going to really start working on it too.

Last weekend, I tried a 3. Ouch! I did about a 270 landing sort of backwards. Caught heelside edge and slammed. I came up seeing stars. Buddies in the boat said it looked cool though...