PDA

View Full Version : Crackling Speakers

calpal10
07-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Just this last weekend I was out on the lake and ALL the speakers in my boat started crackling and sounding terrible. My first thought was loose connections but all connections seemed solid. I've got a fairly new kenwood deck with an audioban amp, 4 tower speakers. Anybody have any idea what could be wrong. My thoughts are: bad rca cables or deck shorted out? Could it be the amp? Thanks for any help.

AZHeet
07-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Do you keep your Cingular (AT&T) phone on next to your head unit? Mine makes my whole system sound terrible, especially my sub. Does the same thing in my car, but only when it's in use.

Sounds odd, but it's true.

Buttafewcoe
07-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Make sure power wires and speaker wires are not in close proximity to each other, i.e., ran in the same loom
Hope this helps
B

calpal10
08-01-2007, 12:36 PM
The problem is not due to the phone for I tried it the other night without a phone in the boat and it was still bad. And the wires are not ran together in the same loom. Thanks for the tips, unfortunately neither solved the problem. Anybody have any other suggestions.

JoeTechie
08-02-2007, 01:04 AM
Bad Ground.

-J

calpal10
08-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Well after some trial and error with different decks and amps and what not, i figured that both my amp and deck went out. One of the RCA outs on the deck was bad causing a bad connection and terrible sound quality. I hooked up a new deck to my amp and still had some crackling out of a couple channels. So I hooked up a new deck to a different amp and sure enough it all worked great. I'm assuming these aren't made for the abuse of waves and humidity and water and just being in a boat.

So here's my question now... i've got 4 bazooka tower speakers, and 6 in boat speakers. What kind of amps are you guys running / how much wattage do I need to power it all? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!!

NCSUmoomba
08-02-2007, 02:57 PM
To my six "in boat" speakers, I am running a Hart Pro 50x4 RMS, to my 10" sub I am running a Hart Pro 50x2 RMS bridged to about 150Wx1, and to my four tower speakers I am running a Rockford 450X2 RMS @ 2 ohms with my speakers wired in series to give them ~112.5W per speaker. WIth this setup, since I have 3 sets of preamps, I have the boat speakers on the front channel and the tower speakers on the rear channel, so I can fade it and adjust the levels if necessary. So I am pushing about 800W total.