PDA

View Full Version : Syntec cleaning

07-30-2007, 12:52 AM
Hello everyone, I finally found the right boat. I ended up going with a 2007 Outback V :)

I've put about 10 hours on the boat so far. I want to keep the interior in great shape at all times. Some little black round thing about the size of the tip of a ball point pin got in the boat somehow and created a small stain on one of the syntec cushions (the endless try-and-keep-my-boat-clean saga begins).

I was reading this printout I have on syntec stain removal and it suggests using household detergent to remove stains (along with warm water). What does everyone here use to keep your interior clean? By household detergent do they mean Tide and such?

If a stain is persistent, how tough is this material? Can it take some elbow greese with a sponge? Or will it deteriate?

Thanks for any advice. So far I love the boat. I went to look at a couple Sangers on the way to purchasing this one & they had 1/2 the features and were $10k more. I found the same to be true with most other boats too.

-Robert

04OUTBACK
07-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Try a Mr CLean Magic Eraser...
I have had some parking lot stains end up on my seats ( tar/blacktop) and have resorted to a very small amount of bug/tar remover. I always use another cleaner like 409 to clean the bug/tar remover.. Not saying this is safe for material, just gets the stain off.. follow up with some protectant.

JoeTechie
07-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Robert,

Hello and welcome first.

The Vinyl is not Syntec, it is G&T Marine grade vinyl - very high quality stuff. However the manufacturer reccomends a few things to stay away from. Most are harsh household chemicals (like 409! )
"Fantastik" is allowed, though almost impossible to find now.

Magic eraser is very good, but can remove some of the protective layer of the vinyl.

I have had Excellent results with Knights Marine Spray nine.
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/178060117msk.htm?bct=t13037503
Amazing at cleaning, but very safe.

Always wipe off anything you spray on the vinyl with water a few times then let dry and protect with 303 protectant.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/178840021.htm

Expensive, but everyone here will attest - worth every penny! You can wax the boat with it, protect anything on the boat (not the carpet obviously), and feel secure it is doing the job.

Enjoy the toy.

-Joe

JoeTechie
07-30-2007, 10:20 AM
(Duplicate post removed)

Buttafewcoe
07-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Wal-Mart still carries Fantastik......at least around here
B

07-30-2007, 10:56 AM
JoeTechie, thanks for the advice. I'll give those products a shot. I noticed that Knights Spray Nine takes off sun-tan lotion, too. I was wondering if sun tan lotion will cause blemishing or discoloration over time.

I'll probably just wipe the vinyl down once a week or so with the knights cleaner then follow up with 303 protectant.

-Robert

gammapark
07-30-2007, 12:29 PM
What ever product you decide to use on your seats I would recommend trying it out in an inconspicuous spot first in case it causes discoloration or some other issue.

gammapark
07-30-2007, 12:29 PM
What ever product you decide to use on your seats I would recommend trying it out in an inconspicuous spot first in case it causes discoloration or some other issue.

Fat G
07-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Rob, I posted a question about lake stains on the exterior and Joe recommended the Spray Nine. I picked the Spray Nine Bottom Cleaner and the Vinyl Cleaner last week and used them this past weekend. It did an amazing job on both. The bottom cleaner is alot more toxic, but they did the job. Thanks Joe!

JoeTechie
07-30-2007, 09:38 PM
FYI - Use the basic spray nine cleaner on the bottom stains - no cuastic results and almost as powerfull - maybe a few more rubs with a damp sponge but I've never has to use the bottom cleaner and my hull gets NASTY from oil and floating jetsum.

Stay safe.

Rob - Suntan Lotion is VERY BAD for vinyl seats - sucks that we are all covered in the stuff and lounging around on them - but that is what 303 is for !

60% of the time all I do is wipe down w/ damp sponge and then rub dry w/ a clean towell. The other 40% is a quick spray of marine nine, wait 10-30 seconds, wipe, then wet sponge, and dry towel. Somewhere in the docs your dealer gave you is a G&T fold out card for care and how to clean off the nasties that are bad for vinyl. Dig around you'll find it.

-J

p.s. - Thanks go to Bob and Rob at Watersports Of Central Florida for telling me about the stuff!

07-31-2007, 01:02 AM
Thanks again for the advice. I ordered some spray nine from the site and picked up some 303 cleaner from a local marine store here.

I was cringing as my guests were globbing on suntan lotion and sun block, though I can't really say 'don't put any sunblock or sun tan lotion on'. I suppose I'll just clean the vinyl after each time out when sun tan lotion or sun block is involved.

My boat is moored in water, not on a lift. The dealer suggested I take the boat out every couple weeks and wash the hull to help prevent blistering. Does anyone suggest a particular hull cleaner? I looked at quite a few at the local marine store here, but many of them said they strip the wax off. Needless to say I'm sure the wax is important to have on the boat. Do I need to re-wax the hull after each cleaning?

My owners manual packet came with a Syntec stain removal paper saying the vinyl in my boat is Syntec's olefin fiber. The only suggestion for cleaning is 'household detergent and warm water'.

JoeTechie
07-31-2007, 11:14 AM
Rob - Not sure about hull cleaners, but if try the Marine nine one first if the basic spray does not remove it all. Basic boat soap and a boat brush work for me. Always try the least caustic and least abraisive solution first.

Waxing is very important, and I'd bet a hull cleaner would strip off the wax, so rewaxing would be needed - basic marine nine does not strip wax. A good wax will keep the hull able to allow most dirt to jsut wash off esaily. I can't imagine that a month in the water will cause that much build-up.

Syntec makes the carpet, and it is Olifin, and should be cleaned according to the info you read. Vinyl is not olfin. and I still think that G&T makes the vinyl (though Syntec does make some). I do know that the thread they use now to sew the seats is olfin - I'd be interested in seeing what you are reading.

-Joe

p.s. don't freak out on your boat patrons - they are not killing your boat by laying around w/ suntan lotion - just try to use towels as much as possible and stay away from that spray on suntan lotion - that stuff is BANNED from my boat. 303 is your piece of mind as well.

-Joe

07-31-2007, 12:13 PM
I see, that pamphlet is for the carpet. I thought it was for the vinyl. Why do you ban the spray on stuff? Just because it gets everywhere?

I noticed one of my guests using Hawaiian tanning oil: http://www.drugstore.com/qxp16302_333181_sespider/hawaiian_tropic/dark_tanning_oil_original_moisturizing.htm on the boat. Do you happen to know if some tanning oils are less dangerous than others?

I'll certainly be putting a coat of 303 on the boat. Sounds like that is really important to do. As far as the hull, I bet boat soap and a brush will do the trick. Cleaning the hull once every 2-4 weeks is more about removing lingering chemicals from the lake than removing marine plant growth or anything like that.

JesseC
07-31-2007, 12:43 PM
Why do you ban the spray on stuff?

I also require that the spray on stuff be used OUT of the boat. That stuff gets everywhere and some of the brands can actually discolor the vinyl. One of my friends sprayed on the lotion off of the boat and then immediatly jumped in the boat and sat down. When he leaned forward, he had a red and dark gray stripe on his back from my vinyl. It did not hurt the boat, but it took him a while to get my seat pattern off of his back. I am sure if this happened enough it would eventually show in the vinyl. I haven't noticed this issue since using 303 on the vinyl.

07-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Good to know. 303 will soon be my best friend I'm sure. I wonder if anyone has experience with one brand of tanning oil being more vinyl friendly than the others?

-Robert

zabooda
07-31-2007, 02:12 PM
I've had suntan lotion stain the vinyl in two different places. I had to replace the vinyl in both cases. I'm not sure which lotions caused the problems. I just have people lather up and absorb the lotion into the skin before getting in the boat.

JesseC
07-31-2007, 06:20 PM
It seems like my wife mentioned it containing an oil base.

bobwells
07-31-2007, 08:17 PM
WD-40 is a great cleaner and is good for your seats, I spray my down & wipe off on a regular basis, it truly is good for vinyl it extends life...

iaonbb
07-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Babe's seat soap...hard to find, order directly from their site...simply amazing stuff! highly recommended. Meguire's vinyl protectant after that is the ultimate in my opinion.

04OUTBACK
07-31-2007, 10:53 PM
WE have been using the continuous spray sunblock.. it is aerosol and NOT oily... Does not seem to get everywhere....

Sled491
08-03-2007, 06:24 PM
303 is the best, a little goes a long way. We use Simple Green to clean the hull and exterior, is bio degradable and very effective as a washing solution and as a concnetrate for tough spots. Not bad as a hard water stain remover either and doesn't remove wax.

Can sympathize with build up when leaving boat in water, years ago before we had a lift we used to get about 1/4 inch of scum every 6 wks or so on the bottom of our boat. Would take an acid to remove, very nasty job :evil:

JoeTechie
08-03-2007, 07:46 PM
I LOVE simple green, but I found it does strip wax to some degree, and leaves a film on almost all surfaces that attracts dirt. Best stuff for degreasing garage floors, car wheels, cleanup of anything nasty, but safe around kids and even pets to a large degree. But I am weary of using it on the Moomba.

-J

Sled491
08-06-2007, 11:24 PM
With the Simple Green, an immediate rinse with fresh water should help to stop the film.