PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Outback doesn't like to idle

gammapark
07-27-2007, 03:16 PM
My new Outback (30 hours) has a habit of stalling while at idle, even when fully warmed up. If I stop the boat to change skiers the boat will beging to run a bit rough and stall. When we go to start the boat back up, every time it needs to be feathered with the throttle to get it started just like when it is cold. What could be causing this? We use min 89 octane and StaBil in every tank. Thoughts? It runs fine once going and starts every time but again needs some throttle to get there.

JesseC
07-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Before it stalls what RPM is it trying to idle? I am assuming this is a fuel injected model since it is an 07.

smokedog2
07-27-2007, 06:15 PM
water in the gas - too much octain for the engine setting - try 87 and or a water eater.

outback 4
07-27-2007, 08:21 PM
I've got the exact same problem with my 06 outback that has carb engine. I'm going to try the higher octane fuel and see if it makes any difference.

BlunderDownUnder
07-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Check the thermostat on the electronic choke. That is what the shop just fixed on mine.

Here's the scoop:
I've got a 2000 mobius w/ carb. I was having the exact same problem. I tried running higher octane for several tanks, but no change. It seemed like the engine was running rich... the exhaust would be kind of black and have a "gassy" smell, which is typical of running rich. If I accelerated through it, it would clear itself out.. but then would happen again later. I narrowed it down to the electronic choke malfunctioning. The choke was causing too much fuel to enter the throttle body, causing symptoms of running rich. The shop confirmed it was the choke, and told me it was malfunctioning because the thermostat was bad.

seanpatsdad
07-28-2007, 06:06 AM
gammapark
Why are you putting StaBil in every tank.that is a fuel stabilizer for winter storage.I would stop putting that in.I don't know if this will fix your problem but it is not needed in the summer months when usage is up. Just a thought.
John

BlunderDownUnder
07-28-2007, 10:46 PM
let us know when you figure out what it was............. wanna put my curiousity at ease.

gammapark
08-06-2007, 12:44 PM
A couple of clarifications:
1- This is not an EFI engine, carurated.
2-Just went to higher octane fuel, so far no difference.
3- Don't think it's fuel in the gas, when it's running it runs pretty smooth but I am going to dump a bit of Heet in the engine to be sure but again I am doubtful that this is the issue.

The odd thing is that the boat will run fine, but when it is stopped (idling) it will start to run rough and eventually die. Also, even when the engine is totally warm, it needs solid throttle to get started and you need to put it right into gear to get going, it won't idle at all.

Any other suggestions would be very helpful.

Chris

seanpatsdad
08-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Have you tried cleaning the carb with some cleaner.Also check to see if the hose from the valve cover to the carb is hooked up.
John

carsondoc
08-06-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm with Ed. This is a classic case of idle-airbleed screw maladjustment. Bust out the drill and save the rest of your summer!

gammapark
08-16-2007, 04:54 PM
UPDATE: My guy checked out the boat and says basically that the fuel mixture was a little rich, other than that everything checked out. He even gave Indmar a call to make sure he didn't miss anything. The Indmar guy basically said 'that's a carburated engine for you, only option is to go to EFI'. Nice, I'll keep that in mind the next time I have a spare 30 grand laying around for another boat.
Anyhoo, hopefully the mixture adjustment does the trick, will let you know!
Chris

SiglooLSV
08-18-2007, 07:44 AM
3- Don't think it's fuel in the gas...

I actually run fuel in my gas all the time with no problems. Just kidding...coudn't resist.

Wally
08-21-2007, 12:59 PM
check your float needle seat valve situation

gammapark
08-21-2007, 03:01 PM
My guy made some 'adjustments' and now it runs like a dream.
Thanks for all for the feedback.

Chris