PDA

View Full Version : Permits for Recreational Boats

tlrowe
07-24-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure if this is old news or not, but I just got an email alert about it. I thought I would pass it along. Looks like it will apply to all recreational boats.

http://www.boatus.com/gov/Fed_Alert.asp

JoeTechie
07-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Though I think the current permit system they are discussing is downright silly (and will never pass), I do think some form of engine inspection should be part of the boat ownership process. I've seen so many NASTY outboards and I/O's that spew oil and exhaust into the lakes ! Hell - who has not winched their boat up at a public doc and NOT seen oil residue lines on the hull at LEAST once.

Should be every 2 years, basic engine inspection - run it (cold), see if it leaks. Pass/fail, get the sticker and go. $10-$15.

I also support Drivers/Operators licensing for all motorcraft... but that is anther discussion.

-J

Wolf-
07-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Though I think the current permit system they are discussing is downright silly (and will never pass), I do think some form of engine inspection should be part of the boat ownership process. I've seen so many NASTY outboards and I/O's that spew oil and exhaust into the lakes ! Hell - who has not winched their boat up at a public doc and NOT seen oil residue lines on the hull at LEAST once.

Should be every 2 years, basic engine inspection - run it (cold), see if it leaks. Pass/fail, get the sticker and go. $10-$15.

I also support Drivers/Operators licensing for all motorcraft... but that is anther discussion.

-J

As much as I hate the government putting its nose into yet another area of my life, and trying to take another dollar out of my wallet, I'm in agreement with Joe on this.

I'm tired of gas/oil sheens around the ramp and the docks.
I'm tired of half sunken boats left on shores or worse, in the shallows.

If $10-$15 a year would clean that up, I'm in.