PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gage

SEARK
07-23-2007, 02:32 PM
I don't know if this is common on your boat or not, but my fuel gage will go from 1/2 to E quick. I had been pulling some kids around yesterday and knew that I had about 1/2 tank of gas. When we finished I started the boat up and gage is on E. I took everyone back to the dock and then took the boat out to get more gas (no on-lake fillup). When I filled it up I had on put in less than 22 gal. on a 34 gal tank. Gage should have been between 1/2 and 1/4, but was on E. Is this a common problem with these boats? :?

outback 4
07-23-2007, 03:01 PM
I've got the same issue with my 06 Outback. I haven't been able to put more then about 15 gallons in a 20 gallon tank. I'm always scared to see how far down it can go because paddling the boat back to the dock would not be a fun thing to do.

SEARK
07-23-2007, 03:12 PM
The last thing I need is to have someone tow me in because I ran out of gas. It bothers me to know that I have more gas in the tank than what is showing.

bobwells
07-23-2007, 03:13 PM
yippee :D not as bas as u thought, I like those kinda surprises :wink: my boat says close to empty and i'm probally holding close to 8-10 gal. if specs are right and I have a 30 gal. tank as stated.

MasterMind3002
07-23-2007, 09:31 PM
I have the same problem with my 2007 Outback. I filled the tank last Saturday and the gauge only reads 3/4 full. Any attempt to put in more full results in a gas bath. I pulled a ski show that evening (2 hours of constant running a alot of wot ski starts with as many as 8 skiers) and on Sunday morning I pulled my family for 1 1/2. (shoe skies, trick skis, combo and slalom) The gauge read empty and just barely bobbed with the waves. I went to the marina and filled up, the boat only took 11 gallons. I'm glad the boat is so efficient but I never know how much fuel I have.

Pike
07-24-2007, 02:34 AM
I have the same problem with my 07 XLV. I try to gauge my gas by the hours I am out but its hard when your pulling more or less.

I just decided to get a 5 gallon gas can and store it on board. Obviously it may be easier for me to store than an Outback V. I'd say get a gas can that you can fit on your boat as a back up plan...

Buttafewcoe
07-24-2007, 06:47 AM
Basic rule of thumb for boating as far as petrol goes....
1/3rd tank out, 1/3rd tank in, 1/3rd tank reserve. Although I'm pretty sure that is for blue water boats, it's nice to know when showing empty and I need to start thinking about gettting gas, I have 8 or so gallons.
Whether by accident or purposely, I think the way my gauge reads errs on the side that I'm going too get back to the dock before I run out.
I kinda like it like that
B

SEARK
07-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Good point. I'd rather have gas in the boat when it says E than not have gas in the boat and gauge read 1/4. :o

csumerall
07-25-2007, 12:25 AM
I usually fill my tank up after every day at the lake but I was on vacation for the last week and the boat was in the water the whole time so I pretty much watched the time more than the gauge and I could run for about 4 hours on a 1/2 tank and then would fill up that night. Not to mention with the tank full there is less chance of condensation build up

BensonWdby
07-26-2007, 08:10 AM
These gauges are realtively unreliable. Just watch them change as you take off or as people move about the boat. You could probably find the 'best attittude' of the boat and always check the gauge with that attitude. Something like - At rest, calm water, driver and passenger seat occupied..

Our 99 Mobius tells us when it is low. We go to take off pulling a skier and right after it planes out it looses power - it doesn' t die, just boggs down. We stop, motor back and gas up. I think this happens with 3-4 gallons in it ...

Dave