PDA

View Full Version : Tower base has moved or the rubber padding has swelled??????

gsi09907
07-22-2007, 12:01 PM
In cleaning the boat this morning, we noticed one of the rear tower base points that hooks into the top rail of the boat has possibly shifted. It also looks like it is just the rubber foam underneath swelling out due to heat... can't really tell and I am a very particular person. Has anyone else had this happen or heard of the tower shifting... One side is fine and shows no sign, the other is the above... Standard Rat-A-Cage tower from XTP on a 07 MOB LSV.

AZHeet
07-23-2007, 12:30 PM
One side of mine is doing the same thing. There are only 3 bolts that hold the back attachment. From what I can tell, the spacer actually is ripping and sliding out towards the inside of the boat since there is only one bolt on the top or inside. It's ripping and pivoting out around that one bolt. I figure I'll have the dealer fix it when I take in at the end of the summer unless it gets too bad.

gsi09907
07-23-2007, 09:33 PM
do you think this could cause any damage the th e boat, tower or worse myself?

AZHeet
07-24-2007, 08:18 PM
I figure as long as the bolts are tight, and there is still isolation between the tower and the boat, then it's OK. I just keep an eye on it every time I go out.

Buttafewcoe
07-25-2007, 06:37 AM
If the metal starts rubbing the gelcoat, it could get ugly fast. Take time to reposition it.
B

NateDog
07-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Just noticed the same thing. I believe it is from the heat. Here in NC the high is like 92 and the low is like 81. plus the humidity

davidl
07-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Same with my 06 LSV, Getting worse

shulaj
08-03-2007, 08:41 AM
I am going to check mine. Isn't it easy to fix though?

Buttafewcoe
08-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Since buying my OB new in August 04, I've had to snug the tower bolts and nuts only one time. That was after I had my tower speakers installed.
Using a nut driver and a phillips screwdriver, I took the slack out of the bolts by holding the screw driver still and turning the nut driver. That way I couldn't get a lot of torque and over tighten them, but could get them snug. The nuts are the nyloc type and seem to hold pretty good. Never had to reposition the pads though. I think I got to them b4 they moved
Hope this helps
B