PDA

View Full Version : Engine cuts out

schwartzman
07-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Last week we were at a lake that was something like 1000ft lower in elevation than we are normally at and the engine was cutting in and out at ski speed but not at wake board speed. Two weeks earlier it did the same once but it was on the way back to our camp and my wife was doing around 45MPH. With nobody behind the boat I have not been able to make it cut out, so I am thinking it may be a fuel filter. The only thing I can find that is a fliter is the filter/seperator mounted on the frame. The Moomba dealer is about an hour away so it would be easier to use auto parts if I can. I found a wix filter/water seperator #33225 that cross referenced to the carstar that is currently installed. Can I do this? The boat is a 98 Outback with the 5.7 310 carb motor.

Buttafewcoe
07-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Yes, those replacement parts should do just fine
B

qb12
07-18-2007, 09:15 AM
i just had the same problem on my 05 supra. i could not get it to go over 3200 rpms. changed the fuel filter and problem solved.

the mechanice who did the swap out cut the filter open and said the paper filter was black..... :roll:

schwartzman
07-30-2007, 11:39 PM
We just got back from a week at the lake, and after changing the feul filter/ water seperater the engine still cuts out. It almost always cuts out when I would turn around while skiing, and when we would ski above 30 MPH when I would try to adjust the speed slightly (speeding up or down). My guess is that it is starving for feul. My feul pump is different from the other outback's so I don't know what it has for gallons per minute it should have. My other thought is that mabey the float level is not correct. So if any body can tell me the float heights and the specs for the feul pump I think that will solve my problem.

Buttafewcoe
07-31-2007, 06:20 AM
My anti-siphon valve on me '04 OB got to where it was sticking, making the engine starve for fuel. Heck, it got to where it wouldn't run cuz the thing stuck shut.
Don't know it that is your problem or not, but is one of the things that can go wrong
Hope this helps
B

tman1
08-03-2007, 06:31 PM
I have a 2007 Outback V. The problem is when I go through choppy water my engine cuts out and just goes to an idle. The engine never dies, it justs acts like I put it in idle without doin it. Any Ideas? I have a full tank of gas, I put premium only in it. The boat only has 16 hours on it. It just started acting up. I don't think it could be a fuel filter, because it doesn't do it if the water is smooth.

schwartzman
08-03-2007, 08:49 PM
I checked all the moving parts (linkage, accelerator pump, choke, ect) and all is good. I think I found out how to set the float level, although the manuel I found is for a car and says the engine should be level it should work. I may not have a chance to do the work and try it out for another week.

schwartzman
08-16-2007, 04:37 PM
As far asI can tell it was the float height that was causing my problems. When I checked the out on the lake yesterday, the primary float was as low as it could go. I don't know how it happened, but when I raised it and did a high speed run all was good. It was the kind of fix you don't hear of very often, cheap and quick.