PDA

View Full Version : BUYING 2002 MOBIUS LSV..HAVE ???

mtvfiremedic
07-28-2003, 01:21 AM
HI THERE.. I AM BUYING A 2002 MOBIUS LSV AFTER WHAT I THINK IS A LOT OF RESEARCH. I FOUND ONE THAT HAS THE 310 INDMAR CARBURATED ENGINE(SAME AS MY BOOMERANG), I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS THAT OWNERS OF SIMILAR BOATS OR (BRIAN RAYMOND) MIGHT ANSWER. I AM LOOKING FOR HONEST OPINIONS OF CURRENT LSV BOAT OWNERS ... SOMETIMES HARD TO GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER FROM A DEALER.. SO HERE IT GOES...

1. WHAT IS THE FUEL ECONOMY LIKE.. MY 98 BOOMERANG WITH THE SAME ENGINE AND 20 GAL TANK SEEMS TO SUCK GAS LIKE A HOG..ESPECIALLY OVER 4000 RPM.. I AM EMPTY OR CLOSE AFTER ABOT 3 1/2 HRS OF RUNNIN HARD AND PULLIN SKIERS...IS THE NEW 310 THE SAME.. I HAVE DOUBLE THE FUEL NOW..SO A MIDDAY STOP SHOULDNT BE NECESSARY(I'D RATER HAVE THE INJECTED ENGINE..BUT THIS BOAT IS HARD TO PASS UP)..BUT DOES ANYONE HAVE SOME REAL WORLD ESTIMATES.. WE ARE WATERSKIERS.. AND I AM JUST STARTING TO GET INTO WAKEBOARD(ONCE I GET THE BOAT)..AND THIS IS AT 20 FEET ABOVE SEA LEVEL IF THAT IS AN ISSUE(CALIFORNIA DELTA)

2. I KNOW THE WAKEBOARD WAKE IS THE BOMB WITH THIS BOAT... AND I'LLHAVE ABOUT 400# OF REAR BALLAST TO MAKE IT EEVEN BETTER...BUT IF I EMPTY THOSE TO WATERSKI... HOW IS THE WAKE AT 32-36MPH????..I'M NOT EXPECTING MY BOOMERANG WAKE(ITS DAMN NEAR FLAT..) BUT I WOULD LIKE TO REASSURE MY WIFE(A SKIER) AND MYSELF THAT I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE TO BE JUMPING MT WAKE ON A SLALOM SKI AT 36 MPH..

3. DO I REALLY NEED THE HYDRAULIC WAKE PLATE IF IM A BEGINNER WAKEBOARDER?... OR DO I NEED IT TO TRIM THE BOAT TO KEEP IT FROM PORPOISING(SP?) AT 38- 40 MPH LIKE THE DEALER SAYS MIGHT HAPPEN ON FLAT H20( I DO HAVE A LOT OF FLAT BUTTERY WATER HERE..(SHHHH..DONT TELL EVERYONE..)

IS IT PRETTY EASY TO ADD A SECOND BATTERY AND A SWITCH SO I DONT RUN OUTTA JUICE WHILE SITTING AT THE SHORE RUNNING THE HUGE SOUND SYSTEM IT IS COMMING WITH?

ANY NEGATIVES TO THIS BOAT AT ALL... I KNOW ALL THE POSITIVES I THINK... THATS WHY I'M BUYING IT... IT'S A GREAT BOAT..WITH EVERYTHING I SEEM TO WANT.. (MINUS PERFECT PASS AND EFI ENGINE)

THANKS FOR THE INPUT AND ANSWERS TO MY QUESTIONS.. I AM PICKING UP THE BOAT ON FRI.. HOPE TO HAVE IT OUT SOON AFTER
BRIAN

SkiKY
07-28-2003, 09:27 AM
I have the '03 LSV w/ the 320 TBI. I used the boat last weekend for 2-3 solid hours of running time pulling slalom and wakeboard and used about 12 gallons. Skiing at 34 mph is only around 3500 rpm; there really is no need to approach the 4000 gas guzzling rpms you mention. Sounds like the gas use may be a little better but not too much.

I also really enjoy the slalom skiing and the LSV does a really nice job once you get the speed up to 32-36 mph with the wake plate clear in the down position. The wake is soft and with a good ski and hard edge through the wake I really don't notice it; but like you said it's definitely not a direct drive wake.

In lieu of the adjustable wakeplate I understand there is a stationary plate attached to the back of the boat. Depending if that stationary plate is set clear up (great for wakeboarding) or clear down (great for slalom) or somewhere in between will definitely affect the optimal use of the boat. Its possible the stationary plate will have no ill effect on the wakeboard wakes but really mess up your slalom wakes??

I am very happy with the boat and would buy it again in a heartbeat. For about $20k less you get the same drivetrain that Malibu and Mastercraft owners get. Is the fancier upholstery and carpet really worth $20k?

mtvfiremedic
07-28-2003, 11:15 AM
thanks for the info..any more from others would be appreciated....
well i only go up to the top rpms when going to and from the skiing area - to get there faster and get in the water... or when cruising around fast....i know its guzzing so i tend to only do it for a short time... especially if i know i'm going to be out there all day.. i hate paying $2.50 a gallon on the water.. but sometimes it has to be done..also.. i sometimes bring a 3 gal gas can for under the bow just in case i get too far from the gas up area.. i shouldnt have to worry about that with a 40gal tank on the LSV..
also.. what gas do you use with that.. i have heard both.. that you need super 91 oct with a carburator..and i have also heard that they are designed to run on 87 oct..so i am wasting $$$$ on super.. i tried both 89 oct and 87 oct and i didnt notice any knock or ping... nor any performance problems.
so any comments...

SkiKY
07-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Indmar recommends 89 octane for 5.7 carb and the 5.7 tbi (per the owner's manual). I have only used the 89 and haven't had any pinging.

I have heard there is some sort of paperwork you have to do to transfer the hull and engine warranties. Be sure you find out what they are follow them to the letter.

FYI... from the Indmar website:

QUESTION: I just bought a used boat with an Indmar engine. Is the warranty transferrable?

ANSWER: Yes, the remainder of the 3 year warranty is transferrable. Contact your Indmar dealer and ask him to help you with the transfer. There is a warranty transfer fee of $200.00 and a special form that the dealer will have to fill out to accomplish the transfer.

Bobby
07-28-2003, 02:37 PM
I have an 03 Mobius LSV. I use my boat for wakeboarding with frequent hard pulls from the hole. I use 6 gallons per hour of 89 octane fuel. Premium fuel is not cost effective.

My Mobius would not make a skier happy at any speed. I have had skiers tell me that it is simply too large of a wake. It's doable, but not optimum.

The wake plate from the factory (standard non-hydraulic) is all we need. I am sure the hydrulaic unit is nice but not required. You can always add the hydraulic unit later. I believe that is possible.

I have a 4,000 watt system that pulls about 80-100 amps of current. I have three batteries because the alternator only generates 70 amps max. You WILL run the battery down in short order! There is sufficient room to add additional MARINE GRADE batteries.

I have not found one single negative to this boat. I assume the unit you are looking at has been throughly inspected and is in good shape. Also, find a good dealer. If so, you will enjoy many years on the water.