PDA

View Full Version : GPS on '97 Outback

Fat G
07-17-2007, 12:36 AM
I picked up a '97 Outback about a month ago and the GPS signal seems to be out about as much as it is in. This past weekend it was reading 12 and 13 MPH when we were wakeboarding around 21 mph. Is it normal for these to be out that much? We are in the boonies about an hour south of Atlanta but GPS should be GPS, right? Is there a sensor or something that I should clean/replace?

Wolf-
07-17-2007, 06:19 PM
I picked up a '97 Outback about a month ago and the GPS signal seems to be out about as much as it is in. This past weekend it was reading 12 and 13 MPH when we were wakeboarding around 21 mph. Is it normal for these to be out that much? We are in the boonies about an hour south of Atlanta but GPS should be GPS, right? Is there a sensor or something that I should clean/replace?

Well, regarding signal, it all depends on how many birds are in sight.
When I am on West Point, I have about 7, very accurate reading.
North end of Wedowee, I only have maybe 4.
South end of Wedowee, 5-6.

Other things I've heard (but not confirmed) is that if the antenna is on a reflective surface (glass, water, shiny tower) there is signal loss (also applies to Sat Radio???)

What brand? Model?

zabooda
07-17-2007, 06:44 PM
If you are on a river, the GPS and the boat speed will normally not match. 8 mph difference is rather significant as GPSs are accurate.

VdoManZ
07-17-2007, 06:59 PM

if you are on a river see what the gps is reading when you are not "moving" subtract or add that to your speed depending on the direction you are headed.

but GPS should be accurate depending on how old it is

Fat G
07-17-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm not sure of the brand. I want to say it came with the boat, maybe? It is built in the dash and as far as I remember it only says "GPS". I'm going to the lake this weekend and I will check if there is a brand. I'll also see if I can find the antenna and see if there may be any type of interference. Thanks. I am on a lake not the river so the current is not an issue.

Fat G
07-18-2007, 09:17 AM
No, no speed control at all. Just a basic black GPS system to check speed. As far as I can remember is says "GPS" and that is it. Burke posted some pictures of his '97 the other day but the steering wheel is covering the GPS in the picture. My boat is at the lake a few hours away so I just flipped him a message to see if he can get a picture. I'll let you know.

JoeTechie
07-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Are you sure it is not GPH ? Gallons per hour ? A flow meter ?

GPS should be relatively accurate with 4 birds and very with 5 or more.

And since they move - location is usually not a problem unless you are in a mountain reigon where they can be blocked

-J

Burke
07-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Sorry Fat G, I don't have GPS on my '97.

Fat G
07-18-2007, 12:00 PM
I'll get a picture a dig around this weekend and get back with you all.

Fat G
07-23-2007, 02:09 PM
I fixed the GPS this weekend. The brand is "Nordskog". I looked up their tech support page online. It was reading the volts and not the speed. New radio installed recently and the electical problems keep popping up. The other thing I noticed was that the receiver is right next to the throttle. That is probably why the signal keeps going in and out. I'll probably move it up on the dash where it can read signals. Thanks for the help guys.

JoeTechie
07-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Also make sure it is not reading in Knots - I read the support for that gauge - it can be set to knots vs mph.

-J