PDA

View Full Version : What is your "Plan B"?

Pike
07-16-2007, 02:38 AM
So I was wondering what you guys do in case of emergency. Your out on the lake...no one around and your Moomba dies, who do you call? What do you do? This hasn't happened to me yet but I worry about it every time I go out

Thanks for your responces

tlrowe
07-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Ditto. Our boat died about 5 miles from home one time. One call and they were there to tow us back within an hour.

http://www.towboatus.com

cptmoomba
07-16-2007, 02:07 PM
If you go to West Marine right now and spend I think 50 or more dollars, they will automatically upgrade their free West Advantage Card to the West Advantage Plus Card. This joins you to the Boat Owners Association of the United States and pays $ 50 towards towing costs.

Not sure about towing service where you all are located, but here if I can't get a friend to come do it for free, Sea Tow is $180!

tlrowe
07-16-2007, 03:14 PM
TowBoatUS charges by the hour on our lake.

Buttafewcoe
07-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Y'all need to make more friends on the lake.
besides, I do more towing than need a tow.
just the way it is....
B

JoeTechie
07-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Plan B - flag someone down

Plan C - Call ranger station for lake - ask them to find someone or use their little boat to tow.

Plan D - anchor boat and swim - lake is not that huge. Get to a shoreline house and beg them.

Plan E - use towboatus. I am a dues paying member - but this would take many hours to have them find a volunteer to reach me.

Always carry flares or smoke. Always carry a mirror. Always carry a LOUD whistle. Always carry a cell phone. Always carry a long, strong tow rope. Always carry enough food to be stuck for 1/2 day.

I've towed umteen boats in my time. And been towed once.

-Joe

gotmyboat
07-17-2007, 11:49 AM
I have two paddles, a hot wife, and a winning personality. I'm relying on any combination of those getting me back to the ramp. :)

Dave

Sled491
07-18-2007, 11:53 PM
I'm with Gotmyboat. A little free booze never hurt either :D

seanpatsdad
07-19-2007, 01:22 AM
All that plus I carry a drift sock to slow me down if it is blowing preety good.
John

zabooda
07-19-2007, 01:31 AM
The place I'm going next week has no services, in fact the lake has no people so we take two boats or be within radio range with talkabouts with the rest of the party. If I had to flag someone down I would raise the engine cover and wave the ski flag to get their attention.

Bombguy
07-22-2007, 03:24 PM
My boat insurance covers towing. I have AAA insurance (Travelers) on my houses, truck, car and boat. Haven't used it on the boat yet tho. I suspect a phone call and some waiting (drifting) would be all it would take.

Neil