PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat Repair?

gsi09907
07-15-2007, 11:29 PM
went to a big tourney this weekend and while tied up in the row of boats and the waves rocking the boats, I have 4 very small dings (nail head) from another boats stainless rub rail screws. I have the number of a local guy who is suppose to be a highly recommended repair man but, I was just curious what and how gel coat repair works. Cars I understand bondo, primer, paint... boats and gel coat I don't have a clue. Just wondering how easy is this and what price range should I expect?

thanks

ATLOUTBACKV
07-16-2007, 12:05 AM
was the contest in GA..if so where?

gel repair is a bit trickier than paint work.... lots of sanding is in order.....how old is the boat? you probably can get the gel coat straight from SC and have your repair guy use it so its a dead on match... that is if the boat is pretty new with no fading...

pickle311
07-16-2007, 11:47 AM
I did some repair on my boat and it's actually very easy. No filler is required for small dings. They will just mix the gel to get the color right then add the hardener. It is applied directly to the spot after it has been cleaned. Just let it dry, sand it smooth, then polish it and you're done. I would sand it starting with 400 grit and work my way up to 1000 grit and wet sand it. After that, I put a polishing wheel on my drill and hit it real good. It looks as good as new, you can't even tell.

gsi09907
07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
It's an 07 Black with only 25 hours and about 4 weeks old. Should have no fade at all I afraid to try and fix it myself, not very mechanically inclined on repairing much of anything

gsi09907
07-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Will Skier's Choice sell us the gel coat to do such repairs or is it like something only a select group of people can order?

Anyone recommend a good repair man?